[Rfu-station] Station Manager replacement

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed Feb 11 16:37:06 CST 2009

As I've mentioned at recent meetings, I took the station manager
position for a year-long term, and that term is coming to an end right
around now. Also, I have recently confirmed that I will be leaving
this summer to work elsewhere.

As such, it is necessary to find someone to take on the role(s) that I
have played at the station in the past year. Below, I lay out the
tasks associated with the role, as well as other tasks I have taken
some responsibility for in the past year. I think it may be useful, as
I've discussed with some of you, to formalize a split in the Station
Manager role from that of general point person. Whether tasks are
formally assigned to existing groups or individuals, or a new position
(or positions) is created is a matter for discussion. I should also
mention that our formal station structure provides for the creation of
some positions that overlap with, but are not coterminous with, the
Station Manager position - we should look to fill these positions.

STATION MANAGER
- Act as Chief Operator for FCC purposes
- Ensure compliance with FCC regulations:
--- Monitor EAS printer, and work with Tech group to make sure EAS is
working
--- Make sure operators are signing log - work with Membership group
(who stock forms in studio)
--- Investigate any complaints about obscenity/indecency on the air,
or regarding transmission interference, or other serious issues. Work
with relevant volunteers, general membership, and others, to resolve
any problems. [When taking the position I confirmed with the
membership that I had the power to remove any individual from air,
pending action by the general membership, if I deemed it necessary in
order to protect our license or facilities.]

OTHER TASKS I HAVE WORKED ON (not always consistently ;-)
- Ensured meetings are called and facilitated.
- Process in-bound mail - pass to working groups, or direct to IMC
bookkeeper for payment/processing
- Interface with other IMC groups on various station developments
- Work on fundraising opportunities, including grants and Farmers'
Market - now that we have a finance/outreach group, these tasks would
fall under this group.
- Act as emergency contact for non-license-critical issues for on-air
volunteers. [e.g. equipment failure, door codes, etc.] These calls can
be dealt with by a mixture of Membership and Tech, depending on the
issue.
- Act as a contact point for external queries about the station,
including ensuring that responses issue to those who contact us on our
email lists.

I think it could be useful to have one or two people take
responsibility (also for a fixed term, such as 6-months or a year) for
some of the coordination/facilitation tasks, separate from the person
who takes on the Station Manager position - it will also ensure we do
not vest too much power or influence in any one person.

Andrew

Andrew Ó Baoill
Station Manager