[Rfu-station] Homelessness Marathon on WRFU-LP FM

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sun Feb 22 13:44:20 CST 2009

WRFU will be airing much of the 12th annual Homelessness Marathon this
Monday night into Tuesday morning (23-24th February). This will mark
the first time the Marathon will be aired on WRFU. The event will also
air on WEFT FM of Champaign, IL, which has aired the marathon since
its inception.

The Homelessness Marathon is an annual 14-hour radio broadcast
featuring the voices and stories of homeless people from around the
United States The Homelessness Marathon features live call-ins all
night long via a national toll-free number.

The broadcast will start at 6 p.m., central time, on Monday, February
23rd and end at 8 a.m., central time, on Tuesday, February 24, 2009.
WRFU has some live local programming during the evening, so we will
not be airing the entire marathon. Our volunteers on these shows are
being encouraged to drop into the marathon at least occasionally
during their shows - the marathon will be running continuously on our
in-studio Automation feed through the evening.

According to the organizers:
> The 12th Annual Homelessness Marathon will originate from Pass
> Christian, Mississippi. Pass Christian is next door to Waveland, MS,
> which the Army Corps of Engineers officially designates as the
> "Ground Zero," where Hurricane Katrinacame ashore. We call it the
> "other" Ground Zero, because it's the one that didn't get the
> attention (or the multi-trillion dollar response) that was given to
> the Ground Zero in New York.
>
> Pass Christian was less affected than Waveland, losing a mere 100%
> of its public buildings, 100% of its businesses and 80% of its
> homes. Though theGulf Coast is probably only about 20% rebuilt and
> there is a drastic shortage of affordable housing, the state and
> Federal governments will soon remove the remaining temporary
> trailers and cottages. Thousands of desperately poor elderly and
> disabled people and single parent families with young children are
> about to be thrown on the streets with nowhere to go.

More information:
http://www.homelessnessmarathon.org/

Andrew

Andrew Ó Baoill