[Rfu-station] Sept. 19 2009 Meeting minutes

Jacob Barton udderbot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 22:48:45 CDT 2009

09/19/2009 RFU general membership meeting
Notes taken by Jacob; Meeting facilitated by Ray

Present:  Jacob Barton (no show), Dave Williams (Wing-T Sports Show),
Korinta Maldonado (RRR), Juan Marshall & Marco (interested in starting a
show), Raul M. (freelance), Christopher Clark (WBML).

Committee reports?
- Jacob reported on Outreach -- first day at Farmer's Market.  $1 raised(!)
Gonna get creative about it.  We need volunteers; there's a signup sheet in
the station, or contact Jacob about it (udderbot at com/2817552260).
- Jacob reported on Automation -- backlog of music & PSA updating tasks that
need to get done, inquire if interested.
- Rules about PSA's were clarified -- no explicit calls to action, no
anything resembling commercial activity which includes mentioning the price
of any event that RFU does not profit from.

Programming
- Wing-T Sports Show approved for 6-8pm Sunday slot.  Dave still needs to
join the IMC and RFU.
- WBML wants up to 4 hours, will propose exact times soon. Has trained
airshifters already. Would need to check the tower when doing shows, even if
remote broadcast.
- Fall Schedule will be finalized after the next meeting (Oct. 6 @ 8PM)!
See http://www.wrfu.net/station/schedule/week for the current schedule, make
proposals, do what you need to do!

Other matters

- We have too many email lists!  Current working groups get empty because of
high turnover. PROPOSAL to suspend activity on all email lists except the
one called [RFU] (required subscription by at least one member of every
programming group, but also open to volunteers & interested people).  This
proposal is open to discussion now, and we'll try and decide on something
next meeting.

- Carly Nix was hired last week for the News Media Coordinator Americorps
position.  She'll be working full-time, shared by the Public i and WRFU, for
the next year starting on Oct. 5. Her position involves technical expertise
& training, fundraising, and integrating the IMC's different media (web,
print, radio) by perhaps creating weekly UCIMC news bulletins.

- We have been approved to receive SORF funding to buy some equipment.  If
we can raise $238 (25% of full cost), U of I will reimburse the other 75%.
Andrew is willing to buy the items and get reimbursed.  Jacob suggests
raising this from small donations, offering $50 himself, anyone else?
Suspicions were also raised about this.

- There is a petition to get new cars' RDS systems to have a "community"
category so people can find community radio stations wherever they are.
There was consensus at the meeting to support this effort.

After the meeting:
- Ray explained the automation scheduling system to people, including the
possibility of live remote broadcasting via ustream.tv & shoutcast
- Raul did a tutorial on the call-in system
- We realized the file cabinet that was housed in the Production room vault,
containing meeting reports & legal files of RFU, is not in the vault, or in
the station.  This is a PROBLEM!

Whew.

SEE YOU at the next meeting (1st tuesday of October 8PM)

JACOB