[Rfu-station] Rally Oct. 2,2009 6:00pm

Raymond Morales rmorales02 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:20:53 CDT 2009

Not Our Mascot Rally

 *Date: *October 2, 2009
*Location:* UIUC Assembly Hall (1800 S. 1st Street, Champaign, IL)

*Time: *6:00pm Rally Before the ‘Next Dance’
7:00pm Press Release & Coalition Speakers
7:30pm Open Mic
8:15pm Rally After the ‘Next Dance’

 [image: banner]<http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/minstrel_banner.jpg>
*minstrel: **a member of a band of entertainers with blackened faces who
perform songs and music ostensibly of black American origin. ORIGIN Middle
English: from Old French menestral ‘entertainer, servant,’ via Provençal
from late Latin ministerialis ‘servant’ (see ministerial )*
------------------------------

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign retired “Chief Illiniwek” as
its official symbol in February of 2007. However, this has not stopped
student organizations such at the Students for Chief Illiniwek
(SFCI)<http://www.studentsforchief.com/>from using the name and
imagery of the “Chief”:

Last year, the SFCI hosted a similar performance on November 15, 2008. Here
is a link to some of the media coverage from last year’s “Next Dance” as
well as the protest to the “Next Dance”:
http://www.iresist.org/next_dance.html

This year, a group of students has been meeting to plan a protest of this
year’s “Next Dance.” We will host a rally at 6:00 p.m., one hour before the
“Next Dance.” We will issue a press release with speakers from our coalition
at 7:00 p.m. At 7:30 p.m., we will host an open mic. At 8:15 p.m., we will
conclude with a rally as spectators are exiting Assembly Hall.

We humbly ask for your support in protesting this awful display of racism
and ignorance on our campus. We hope that you are able to write letters to
University administrators, attend the protest on October 2nd, spread the
word about our protest, and/or contact the Students for Chief Illiniwek to
discourage them from hosting the event. If you are able to show support in
other ways, we would also greatly appreciate that.

Here are contacts for the University of Illinois and Students for Chief
Illiniwek:

   - Chancellor Richard Herman Office of the Chancellor 317 Swanlund Admin
   M/C 304 601 E. John St. Champaign, IL 61820 (217) 333-6290
   rhh at illinois.edu

   - Vice Chancellor Renee Romano 120 Swanlund M/C 304 601 E. John St.
   Champaign, IL 61820 (217) 333-1300 romano3 at illinois.edu

   - Board of Trustees Board of Trustees Office 352 Henry Admin M/C 350 506
   S. Wright St. Urbana, IL 61801 (217) 333-1920

   - Students for Chief Illiniwek President: Elyse Eilts
   eeilts2 at illinois.edu studentsforchief at gmail.com
   ------------------------------

   - Resources on American Indian Mascots
      <http://www.iresist.org/resources.html>

      - Click here to see footage from 2008's "next dance"

       <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance.html>
      - February 1, 2007 *Racism, Power and Privilege at UIUC *Forum -
      organized by the Students Transforming Oppression and Privilege
(S.T.O.P.)
      Coalition <http://www.iresist.org/stop/index.html>

      - LAND OF THE CHIEF/ HOME OF MODERN BLACKFACE MINSTRELSY: SAMSON
      RAPHAELSON’S STORIES AND OURS <http://www.iresist.org/Roediger.html>by
      Professor David Roediger UIUC

       <http://www.iresist.org/Roediger.html>
      - From Looney Coons to Tacos & Tequila: The Aesthetics of Race in
      Middle Class
America<http://cas.illinois.edu/Events/ViewPublicEvent.aspx?Guid=DB10F22C-F640-4BC8-8D38-705FB807E490>Presented
by Professor James D. Anderson, UIUC

      - *Sign the PETITION! *available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/352Henry/petition.html
      To: The Board of Trustees- University of Illinois (U of I); President
      Joseph B. White- U of I; Chancellor Richard Herman - U of I; National
      Collegiate Athletic Association c/o Bob Williams; S.T.O.P. Nevada Street
      Vandalism at The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

------------------------------
Print your own flyers

*Click on the images below for side 1 and side 2. Print them back to back...
Cut them up, stuff in mailboxes, hand them out*

[image: flyer_A] <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/flyerA.jpg>

pdf file <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/flyerB.pdf>

*Side 1*

[image: Flyer B] <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/flyerB.gif>

pdf file <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/flyerB.pdf>

*Side 2*

*8 X 10 Posters*

These images can be printed in color or black and white. Please post them in
public locations!

[image: image 1] <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/dance1.jpg>

pdf files <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pdf/dance1.pdf>

[image: image 2] <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/dance2.jpg>

pdf files <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pdf/dance2.pdf>

[image: image 3]<http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/real%20NDN1.jpg>

pdf files <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pdf/realNDN.pdf>

[image: wanted image]<http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pictures/WANTED.jpg>

pdf files <http://www.iresist.org/next_dance2/pdf/wanted.pdf>

The permanent link for this site is located here:
http://www.iresist.org/minstrel/