[Trees-executive] an alternative (long)

John Sullivan jms at math.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 15 14:58:59 CST 2001

-----------------------------------
What I think we need to do is have city ordinances requiring IP to put all
low to medium-voltage power lines underground by 2026.  I think 25 years
is a reasonable amount of time for them to get their act together, but
maybe 30 or 35 years would be more fair to them.  This will force them to
invest in underground infrastructure, and if they're not happy about doing
this thing that is in the best interests of the consumer, it will
discourage them from renewing the franchise agreements in 201x when they
finally expire.

Yes, that seems quite reasonable.  But what we need to do first
is to make sure the ICC doesn't approve any tariff that would
make such an ordinance impossible (or costly to the cities).

-John