[Trees] Meeting on the 10th, Arbor day

Pauline Bartolone alice_redqueen at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 16:43:20 CDT 2001

Tree advocates!

MEETING WITH A PANEL OF EXPERTS
There will be a roundtable discussion with a panel of experts about the
status of the Save our Trees Campaign on

Tuesday, April 10th 7 pm
Champaign Public Library

Representatives from the IP Customers United to Save our Trees as well as
State Representative Tom Berns will be discussing their views on the new
tariff that is being drafted by Illinois Power. The IP Customers are meeting
with Peter Millburg from Illinois Power this Firday, and will have new
information to share. We are yet to find out whether Peter Millburg will
accept the invitation to join us on the meeting of the 10th.

This is a perfect opportunity to show our representatives, IP, and the media
how strongly we support the trees and quality of life in Illinois!
Ask questions! Voice opinions!Sign an affadavit!
Pick up affadavits to get signatures in your neighborhood!

ARBOR DAY
Save Our Trees is inviting ideas for an event on Arbor Day on Saturday,
April 28th. We've filled out an application with the Champaign Park District
to reserve West Side Park in downtown Champaign from 2:00 -5:00 P. M. We
have one band, and possibly a guitar player booked for the event. However we
need other ideas for activities to round out the occasion. Would like to see
some fund raising component to the activities.  Perhaps we could sell baked
goods and drinks. Would anybody like to volunteer to help out for an hour or
two on the 28th, or donate a food item?  If you have any other ideas, please
contact Kyra Shair, 356-1265 or kshair at advancenet.net

CANVASSING PACKETS
Don't let the word "canvassing" intimidate you. The Save our Trees Campaign
has compiled packets including affadavits, buttons, ribbons, brochures, and
diagrams to map out trees in danger under IP's plan.
Just by going door to door on your block, you could help out the campaign
tremendously! Call 384-0830 or attend Tuesday's meeting to get a packet.

FUNDRAISING
We still need to raise funds for legal fees, meeting advertisements,  and
copying costs. If you can help out by selling a few buttons or ribbons, or
just by making a donation, it would be greatly appreciated. We are still
seeking someone to be chair of the fundraising committee. If interested,
email alice_redqueen at hotmail.com, call (217)384-0830, or attend Tuesday's
meeting.

AFFADAVITS
We still need thousands of signatures to show IP and our government
officials how widely supported we are! So far we have not been permitted to
set up tables for fundraising or affadavits at ANY supermarkets. However, if
you can volunteer to talk to local buisnesses near you about leaving
affadavits next to their cash registers, you can let us know which ones
agree, and we will be sure to drop them off at the site. Again, going door
to door just on your block to get signatures is an excellent way to meet
your naighbors and only takes an hour or two of your time!

WE CAN'T RUN OUT OF STEAM!
LEt's not let IP let the public think that the campaign is over. We are
looking for more volunteers to help out with a number of things.
It is crucial to show IP that we are still organized and strong. To maintain
this we need more core volunteers! If you haven't signed up for a committee,
and have a couple of hours to spare a week, WE NEED YOU! The committees are
the following:

Membership and Outreach
Fundraising
Legal
Executive
Research and Education
Mobilization

See the Save our Trees website to learn how to sign onto a committee email
listserve. or call (217)384-0830

www.saveiltrees.org

Send affadavits and donations to

Save our Trees
110 S. Race Street Suite 205
Urbana, IL 61801

Thanks and I'll see you Tuesday!

Pauline Bartolone, Membership and Outreach, IPCUTSOT