[Vip-communityjustice] So many opportunities!

Gail Schnitzer gcschnitzer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 20:21:10 CDT 2007

Dear all,

We have some great opportunities in store in the near future for you to
volunteer with VIP- Community Justice.

BOOKS TO PRISONERS BOOK SALE Sept. 28-30!

Chose from thousands of quality titles for a good cause. Proceeds from this
book sale will go toward covering the cost of sending free books to Illinois
inmates.
Where? The IMC Building (Downtown Urbana Post Office by Lincoln Square Mall)
202 E. Broadway, Urbana, Illinois
When? Friday Sept. 28 Noon-Midnight, Saturday, Sept. 29 9 AM to Midnight,
Sunday, Sept. 30 from 11-2 (regularly priced) and 2 PM - 6 PM $2 Bag sale!

*** Volunteers are also needed to set-up for the sale and to work the
event!***
Set-up: Wed and Thursday from 11 AM to ??? (can do partial work of course)
Contact April Diaz if you are interested in working the event or helping to
set up.

MEDIATION TRAINING

Help to keep juveniles offenders out of the system through mediation. Truly
change someones life through mediation between victims and offenders.

The training is scheduled for Tuesday & Thursday from 5:30 – 8:30 and
Saturday From 10-2:00 for two weeks.
The first training is October 2nd and the last is Oct. 13th.
Training will be at Brookens Center, 1776 E. Washington in Urbana. There
will be food!
Contact Nora Sage at nsage at ccrpc.org if interested!

PEN PALS

Todays a good day to write your pen pal! Some topics include:
-What you want to be when you finish school? What did you want to be when
you were young? Why did it change?
-Your favorite course so far and what makes them so great.

You can pick up a new pen pal packet on the VIP office door (2nd floor

of the Union in the RSO Complex). Just be sure to fill out a 1/4 sheet

contact form also in the folder and leave it either in the Community

Justice mailbox inside the office or in the folder marked "community

justice form return".

BOOKS TO PRISONERS SATURDAY OCT 6th

Join us for our monthly trip to fill requests of books from the inmates of
Illinois. Show the incarcerated that someone not only remembers them but
that we care about their intellectual growth and development. We will meet
at the Union Circle Drive at 1:45 and head the the Independent Media Center
and return around 4:00 PM. RSVP to Coordinator Grace Park at
gjpark2 at uiuc.edu

SAVE THE DATE
-Oct. 3 Write your Pen Pal
-Oct. 6th Books to Prisoners
-Oct. 7th AIDS Walk for GCAP
-Oct. 13th I-Help
-Oct. 17th Write your Pen Pal
-Oct. 31st Write Your Pen Pal
-Nov. 3rd, Babysitting Training Supervision Skills Program
-Nov. 7th Write your Pen Pal
-Nov. 10th Books to Prisoners
-Nov. 21st, Write Your Pen Pal
-Dec. 1st Books to Prisoners.

Gail

--
Gail C. Schnitzer
Political Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
– Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963