[Vip-environmental] April Events!

Stephanie Juen juen at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 5 17:02:50 CDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I know most of you are probably just as crushed as me about
last night's defeat, but how about some good, wholesome
volunteering to brighten your day? I've got another long
e-mail coming your way, but once again, PLEASE read it all
the way through so you don't miss any information about the
exciting opporunities we have coming up in the next few weeks!

1. Congratulations to our new coordinators!!!
   Environmental Education: Molly DeSalle
   Trail Stewards: Nathan Kuehlthau and Gil Harmon
You can look forward to working with them all very soon!

2. The Energy Fair is THIS THURSDAY, APRIL 7th from 10 am to
3pm. I think I said it was Wednesday in my last e-mail, but I
was wrong. Sorry! We will have a table set up on the quad.
Let me know if you would be interested in working a shift at
the table. Any time you could put in would be much
appreciated! All you have to do is sign-up interested
volunteers and hand out info about renewable energy and VIP-
Enviro in general. Even if you only have a few minutes
between classes, feel free to stop by and say hello. I'd love
to see some new faces! I've pasted the official notice
below...

"Don't be Fooled by Fossil Fuels!"
Stop by the Clean Energy Fair put on by Students for
Environmental Concerns of the University YMCA and Engineers
Without Borders!!

What:  Clean Energy Fair

When:  10 am - 3 pm, Thursday, April 7

Where:  Anniversary Plaza (Outside the Union on the south)

Why:  To learn about alternatives to fossil fuels, to get
involved with local groups, to hear speakers, to check out a
hybrid car and other displays, to EAT FREE FOOD (organic/
locally grown), and to have fun! Bring a friend!

We hope to see you there!

For more information contact Meghan Sullivan
(masulliv at uiuc.edu or #815-347-2411)

Cosponsored by:  Sierra Club, School for Designing a Society,
VIP Environment, Environmental Council, and Illinois
Renewable Energy Association.

3. Now that the weather is turning beautiful, our outdoor
events will be going in full force for the remainder of the
semester. Our new trail stewards coordinators will be
organizing groups to head out as soon as possible. If you're
interested in participating,
contact Nathan Kuehlthau at nkuehlth at uiuc.edu

4. We have two of our Urbana Parks workdays coming up. I know
they're on Saturday mornings, but they are always a ton of
fun and definitely worth waking up for (plus they feed us)!

April 16: Busey Woods - Leave from the Union Circle Drive at
8:40 am, work from 9-11, back by 11:30. (Bring your moms!!!)

April 23: Meadowbrook - Same times as above

5. The week of April 18th is a huge week of volunteering for
us. First, we will be celebrating NATIONAL VOLUNTEER WEEK!
However, for Environmental in particular, April 22 is also
EARTH DAY! For these two reasons, we are providing you with
extra opportunities to get involved that week. I'll give you
more specific details as the time approaches, but I want you
to at least have the dates now so you can set some time aside
to make it out for an event or two.

Monday, April 18: We will have a table on the quad to promote
our events and sign up more volunteers. People needed to sit
at the table from 10am - 3pm.

Wednesday, April 20: Picking up litter along the lakeshore at
Homer Lake. Leave Union at 2:30pm.

Thursday, April 21: Preparing flower beds for planting at
Lake of the Woods. Leave Union at 2:30pm.

Friday, April 22: We will have a table on the quad again to
distribute info to students about environmental issues for
Earth Day. People needed to hand out info and candy from
10am - 3pm.

Sunday, April 24: SUNSHINE JUBILEE! This our annual volunteer
recognition event to say thanks for your involvement and hard
work. We appreciate everything our volunteers do so much! And
if you've never volunteered, it's a great opportunity to come
out and meet some new people. Plus, did I mention free
food??? More details will be coming in the future!

Ok, so I know that was HUGE, but it's all really important,
so thanks for reading through! I hope to see many of you at
events in the coming weeks.

E-mail me about any events you're interested in attending
just so I have a rough head count.
Don't forget we provide transportation, so getting places off
campus is never a problem!

Talk to you soon!

Stephanie Juen
Director VIP-Environmental

NOTE: Do not reply to this e-mail. Direct all questions and
comments to me at juen at uiuc.edu or to the appropriate listed
coordinator.