VIP: Senior Citizens Volunteer Illini Projects: Senior Citizens

Danielle Moushon moushon2 at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 25 12:02:12 CDT 2006

Hello everyone!  You're getting this email because you signed up for more
information about the Senior Citizens Project of Volunteer Illini Projects.
I'm really excited about this year because we had a great turn out at
recruitment nights and we're going to be expanding SC this year to work with
2 new organizations!

This will be a short (hopefully) recap of the different volunteer
opportunities we offer.  Remember: no weekly commitment is required.  You're
welcome to come to as many bingo nights or other events as you'd like.  You
can find one night that works for you and come the same time/place every
week, switch it up, or just come whenever you have the chance.

BINGO:
-Tuesday Nights at Urbana Care Center 6:30-7:45
contact Sydney at seguino at uiuc.edu for more information
-Wednesday Nights at Champaign County Nursing Home, 6:30-7:45
(I do not have a coordinator for this position yet, so contact me for more
information)
-Wednesday Nights at Manor Care, 6:30-7:45
contact Kyle at kdohrman at uiuc.edu
-Thursday Nights at Carle Arbours 7-8
(I do not have a coordinator for this position yet, so contact me for more
information)
-Saturday Mornings at Manor Care 10-11:30
(I do not have a coordinator for this position yet, so contact me for more
information)

CHORE DAYS:
October 8
November 12
December 10
-Chore days are opportunities to help local seniors who are still living
alone with local chores around the house.  You could work with a "team" or
just be assigned to one, and each team will be put with a local senior to do
chores such as raking leaves, vacuuming, or other inside and/or outdoor
chores.
-(I do not have a coordinator for this position yet, so contact me for more
information)

MANICURE AFTERNOONS:
(dates/times TBD)
-Manicure afternoons take place at Champaign County Nursing Home.  It's
pretty self-explanatory.  You don't need to be an excellent painter to
participate, as we can have you remove old polish, go get seniors, or just
make conversation.
-(I do not have a coordinator for this position yet, so contact me for more
information)

CIRCLE OF FRIENDS:
(dates/times TBD)
-Circle of Friends is an Adult Daycare Center, which works pretty much like
a children's daycare center.  The idea is that seniors are dropped off while
their children or other caregiver is at work, and pay an hourly wage for the
care.  We are currently looking to do a weekly or biweekly activity with
them, including board games, crafts, or just hanging out.  This is an
excellent opportunity to brighten someone's day.  Again, no weekly or
biweekly commitment will be required, but consistency is always
encouraged.  I will send out more information as I get it, but until then
feel free to shoot me an email with any questions.
-(I do not have a coordinator for this position yet, so contact me for more
information)

I can work with individuals or groups, so feel free to contact me if you or
your organization is looking for an opportunity.  I can't wait to see you
all in action!

Also, for those of you that marked that you were interested in a leadership
position, another email will be following later in the day.

Thank you for your interest,
Danielle

--
Danielle M. Moushon