[Vip-socialempowerment] VIP Social Empowerment

hapeman2 at uiuc.edu hapeman2 at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 9 16:14:52 CDT 2008

Hey guys,
  My name is Katie Hapeman. I am the new director for VIP Social Empowerment. The Social Empowerment project strives to aid people in the Champaign-Urbana community. Volunteers work to promote community building for self-sufficiency as well as work for social change. Social empowerment is a broad program with many opportunities to make a difference. The diversity of service opportunities gives everyone the chance to find a cause to get involved with. This grassroots approach will give students a deeply vested interest in the community and give community members a chance to interact with students. Giving back to the community is equally important for students and for those in need. Whether we can make a difference in small ways that go largely unnoticed, or in more far-reaching ways, every act of kindness counts. Volunteering teaches respect for diversity, empathy and the power of the individual.

  Sorry this has taken a long time to organize, but we finally have some great programs set up for volunteering for the remainder of this semester and for next year! We currently have volunteering programs set up with Champaign Country Health Care Consumers, the Center for Women in Transition, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and the GLBT community outreach office. We will also be holding a fund raiser for Darfur. We have a lot of coordinator positions open for those looking for leadership positions. If any of these events sound interesting or if you want more information (or if you want to be taken off this list), please email me!

I hope to hear from you guys,
Katie