[Vip-specialprojects] Orientation Night info

emrice at uiuc.edu emrice at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 8 17:23:39 CST 2005

Hello everyone,

So begins another semester of volunteering with Special
Projects!!  I can tell you're all thrilled about recieving
mass loads of emails from yours truly again!  :)  In case you
were unable to attend the SP Orientation Nights, here is the
information packet I passed out!  Email me with questions or
concerns!!  And, expect to hear from me very soon with
reminders of upcoming events and coordinator application
info!!!

Sincerely,
Liz Rice

Welcome to Special Projects Spring Orientation Nights 2005!!!

What is Special Projects and how is it special?
-Special Projects provides unique volunteering experiences by
offering one-time service projects in a wide range of social
issues.  Working with community organizations and other VIP
projects, volunteers aid in events concerning youth
development, the environment, senior citizens, and other
areas.  Students enjoy the variety of volunteer opportunities
and like the flexibility of this project.  The goal of
Special Projects is to bring all of the pieces of the puzzle
together: Diverse Issues, Flexible Volunteering, and
Community Improvement!

What types of events does Special Projects do?
-The unique thing about Special projects is our ability to
volunteer in all types of areas of service.  We have
volunteered with such agencies as the Champaign County
Nursing Home, YMCA, SWANN Special Care, Crisis Nursery,
Champaign and Urbana Park District, Allerton Park, Carle,
March of Dimes, and many more.   As you can see, there are no
limits when it comes to volunteering with Special Projects!
- Some past events include: “Light the Night” walk, sponsored
by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; “The Britles Concert,”
a benefit for the Carle Children’s Cancer program; “March of
Dimes” WalkAmerica, raising money for research to address the
increasing rate of premature birth.

What is a coordinator and how can I become one?
-A coordinator helps the Director plan and organize events
within a particular agency.  For example, if you were
assigned to an agency like the Carle Children’s Cancer
Program, you would have helped plan “The Britle’s” Concert.
Each coordinator will be expected to plan at least one event
a month with their agency, and meet with me, the Director,
once every two weeks, and together as a group once every two
weeks as well.   The agencies I’m looking for coordinators
for are: Champaign County Nursing Home, Faith in Action,
SWANN Special Care Center, TIMES Center, Crisis Nursery,
Public Relations, and planning joint events with other VIP
Projects.   If you are interested in applying, pick up an
application tonight or at the VIP office in the RSO Complex,
Room 268.

Upcoming Events:
-Friday, February 11, from 5:30-9:30pm: Daddy Daughter Dance,
hosted by the Urbana Park District
-Friday, February 18, from 5-8:30pm: Bottenfield Elementary
School Carnival with the Daycare Project
-Saturday, February 19, from10am-noon: Project Workday at
Allerton Park (Visitor Center Spruce Up)
-Friday, March 11, from 4:15-8:30pm: Carrie Busey Elementary
School Carnival (collect tickets, explain games, paint faces,
distribute prizes)
-Saturday, April 30, from 9-11am: March of Dimes
-plan on more events, this is just a tentative schedule!

Thanks for coming, and feel free to come to me with questions
or comments!!