[Vip-specialprojects] Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 16:59:05 CDT 2008

Hi Volunteers!
We have a lot of volunteer opportunities for the upcoming months, so get
excited! If there is anything you would like to help out with please email
me at *vip.special.projects at gmail.com* Remember to please include the event
you'd like to volunteer at in the subject line.

*St. Jude Childrens Hospital  Up 'Til Dawn 5K Run/Walk and Finale :
Saturday, March 29th, 2008 5K begins at 10:00am. *Entertainment will begin
between 11:00 - 11:30am.
Come support the terminally ill children at St. Jude
Cost: $10 which includes a free T-shirt, food, drink, entertainment, and a
chance to win one of many prizes!
Location: University of Illinois Arboretum (Corner of Lincoln and Kirby at
the Japanese Gardens)
Prizes include tanning lotions and gift certificates,movie-goer packages,
and 3-month memberships to Golds Gym and Refinery.
We will also be giving away an iPod iTouch!!!! Each person that participates
will receive 20 points and can gain an additional 20 points for each friend
they
bring. The person with the most points will receive the iPod iTouch! Must be
present to win.

*Circle of Friends Park Outing : Monday March 31 from 1:30 – 3:00pm*
We need volunteers to help us on our outing and fly kites for our seniors.
We will probably also need extra hands and feet as we try to keep these
customers safe while they're outside the day center. We can also use
volunteers to remain at the center to do some kite flying for the seniors
that couldn't go on the outing.

*APRIL EVENTS*
**
*Allerton Park Garden Workday: Wednesday April 2nd from 9 – 11:00 am*
Help maintain the formal gardens surrounding the Visitor Center and Retreat
Center. Volunteer projects may include assisting with watering, weeding, and
cutting back or deadheading flowers.

*C-U Special Recreation Friday Fun Night: Friday April 4th from 6:30-8:00pm*
Volunteers are utilized to help our participants make crafts, play board
games, and other fun things.

*Allerton Park Natural Areas Restoration: Saturday April 5th from 9am- Noon*
Volunteers may be removing non-native plants, clearing and marking trails,
or some other maintenance of the natural areas. All equipment will be
provided, but please bring work gloves if you have them. Warning: may
require work around heavy equipment, power tools, and possible exposure to
poison ivy.

*Champaign County YMCA Healthy Kids Day: Saturday April 12th from 3 - 6pm*
YMCA Healthy Kids Day is a free, fun-filled afternoon of activities designed
to promote healthy practices for kids. Volunteer for this event making
fitness fun for kids. Help with a walk/run, gymnastics obstacle course,
sport contests, camp games and a family fitness class. Volunteers are
welcome to bring their mothers to celebrate healthy living with kids and
their families.

*Allerton Park Garden Workday: Wednesday April 16th from 9 – 11:00 am*
Help maintain the formal gardens surrounding the Visitor Center and Retreat
Center. Volunteer projects may include assisting with watering, weeding, and
cutting back or deadheading flowers.

*Champaign Early Childhood Center Sock Hop Dance : Friday April 18  9 -11am
 & 1 – 3pm*
Dance the day away. Volunteers would dance with pre-school age children.
There would be groups of 15-30 children that would come every 15 minutes to
dance in the gym on this day. There would two session to choose from. The
morning session would be from 9-11, while the afternoon session would be
from 1-3. If you like to dance come join us on the dance floor!!
*
**Centennial High School Day of Service in memory of Austin Cloyd, a victim
of the Virginia Tech shootings. This day of service will be held on
Saturday, April 19, 2008.
*This event is structured to be similar to the university's I-Help. The day
will start around 9:00AM and there will be many different projects for
everyone to participate in. U of I students will probably be put on projects
close to campus, unless they have cars to drive to Centennial. Nothing is
finalized yet, but supposedly there will be free T-shirts and snacks to all
who volunteer, along with a concert at the end of the day. Email me and let
me know if you are interested so I can see where we stand on potential
volunteers.

*Champaign County Electronics Recycling Event: Saturday April 19th  from
9:00- 11:00am, 11:00am - 1:00pm & 1:00- 3:30pm*
You can volunteer for any or all three shifts. Volunteers will assist with
traffic control and survey cars coming into the event. Safety vests and
other detailed instructions will be provided to volunteers onsite. Event
will be held rain or shine!

*Boneyard Creek Community Day : Saturday April 19th from 9am –Noon.  Lunch
is served afterwards*
Roll up your sleeves and plan to get dirty! Pitch in to help restore the
beauty of the Boneyard Creek by cleaning up litter, marking storm drains and
naturalizing the Boneyard Creek.

*C-U Special Recreation Bingo Night: Monday April 21rst from 7- 8pm*
B12, I25 . . . played Bingo lately? Come join us and help our participants
play Bingo. Call the numbers, help participants keep their cards marked
correctly, help pass out prizes, have fun! A one-time training/orientation
session will be arranged prior to the bingo night if you have not worked
with CU Special Rec before.

*Double Nickel Spring Fling Jazz and Blues Social : Friday April 25th from 5
-10pm*
Let's roll back the hands of time and have some fun with all our seniors.
 They need help with set up and clean up.

*MAY EVENTS*

*CU on the Trails : May 3*
A 5k Fun Run/Walk that encourages fitness.  Help us with set up,
registration, assisting runners, and managing the route

*Allerton Park Natural Areas Restoration: Saturday May 3rd 9am- Noon*
Volunteers may be removing non-native plants, clearing and marking trails,
or some other maintenance of the natural areas. All equipment will be
provided, but please bring work gloves if you have them. Warning: may
require work around heavy equipment, power tools, and possible exposure to
poison ivy.

*University YMCA Dump and Run Volunteering: Monday May 5th , Tuesday May
6th, & Wednesday May 7th from  9am-4:00pm*
Volunteers will help unpack items and set-up for our annual garage sale.
They will also have the opportunity to purchase great donated items after
volunteering four hours of time!

*Allerton Park Garden Workday: Wednesday May 7th  from 9 – 11:00 am*
Help maintain the formal gardens surrounding the Visitor Center and Retreat
Center. Volunteer projects may include assisting with watering, weeding, and
cutting back or deadheading flowers.
*
AND*

*Don't Forget to Register to Vote!  *

Volunteer Illini Projects in collaboration with I-Vote is working towards
100% voter registration for all students. Currently to register to vote you
only need to meet 2 requirements

1. US citizenship
2. 18 years of age before the next election

*If you meet both of these requirements but are not registered to vote
please stop by our RSO office and register to vote.* It's just one piece of
paper and takes only a few minutes to fill out. In the Volunteer Illini
Projects Office in the RSO we have voter registration forms. Once it is
filled out we will turn them in to the county clerk's office. We will have
people in the office on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1pm till 2pm to help you
register to vote or you can send us a message at vip.ivote at gmail.com if you
have any other questions. If you are on facebook please join our group U-C
I-Vote and help us spread the word by inviting your friends to join and
learn more.

Don't put this off till the last minute because registration closes a month
before the election!!!

Thanks!
   Sri

--