[Vip-specialprojects] VIP Special Projects November- December Events

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 14:03:01 CST 2008

*Hi Volunteers!
         *Here are some of our upcoming events for November, and some
general information regarding service projects on campus. All the volunteer
events and activities count as service and volunteer hours.  If there is
anything that you would like to help with please email me at *
vip.special.projects at gmail.com* and include the event you'd like to
volunteer at in the subject line! Once you express interest I'll get back to
you with more information about the event and information regarding
transportation there if you need it.

But first some Important Updates…

   - If you are involved with a club or organization on campus that has an
   even coming up that you would like volunteers for, feel free to send me
   information about it and will let you know if I can include it in my emails
   - If you have particular concerns or requirements for the a volunteer
   event (i.e. it should be able to accommodate 20 – 30 volunteers) just let me
   know and I will try my best to help
   - If anyone is interested in leadership positions I am always looking for
   qualified coordinators, just get back to me and I will send you an
   application!

*
November Events!*
*ANGEL TREE*
Wanna spend a few hours at the mall? Manning the table near the Angel Tree
at Marketplace Mall, distributing angel tags to shoppers, placing toys
underneath the Tree.
* Where:* By Santa's Stand near the Sears wing at Marketplace Mall in
Champaign.
*How long:*  2 - 4 hour shifts.. you decide.
*When: *Weeks of November 17, December 1,  8, and 15... Monday through
Sunday... between 10 am and 8 pm... rides can be arranged.*

BELL RINGING*
Spread the Holiday Spirit and collect donations for the upcoming Holidays
season by Ringing Bells at various locations throughout Champaign.
* Where:* The various locations in Champaign will be given from a central
Red Shield Center on Neil and White.
*How long:* 2 - 4 hour shifts... you decide how long but 2 hours is the
minimum.
*When: *Weeks of November 17, December 1,  8, and 15... Monday through
Sunday... between 10 am and 8 pm... rides can be arranged.*

**PARADE OF LIGHTS*
Do you like parades and holiday lights? Lots of help is needed (75
volunteers) for this parade that closes nearly all the streets of downtown
Champaign. Help secure street closings or serve drinks in our Hot Chocolate
Huts.
*Where: *Streets of Downtown Champaign
*When*: December 6, 4:30pm - ?*

**TRANSITIONS RESALE STORE*
           (not a one time event) Do you love organizing? The Center for
Women in Transition Resale Store is in need of volunteers. Ideally: A group
of volunteers (10-15) willing to work at Transitions after 6pm for 4hrs*
Contact:* Monique M. Phagan (217)352-7151 ext. 32 or storemanager at cwt-cu.org

 *HOLIDAY TOY DRIVE* (November 12-December 11)
Help put a smile on a child's face! Donate new toys to local children!
OVP will be collecting toys to give to local agencies. Drop off unwrapped
gifts (approximate value $15), at 288 Illini Union, from November
12-December 11. RSOs, make it a group event!  The RSO that  brings in the
most gifts will win your choice of a free pizza party or a free DI Ad for
your group!  For more information Contact us at ovp at illinois.edu or
(217)333-7424
*Benefit Dinner at Noodles & Co.* (November 16th)
Eat at Noodles & Company on Green Street Sunday, November 16 between 4pm and
9pm to help raise funds for the Holiday Toy Drive. 15% of your purchase will
go to buying toys for the youth in Champaign County.*

Other VIP organizations:
*

**
*VIP November Blood Drive : Tues Nov 11th- Fri Nov 14th**
            *Assist with handing out flyers and getting the word out about
the drive (an on campus event)
***
VIP Social Empowerment: Thurs Nov. 13th  at 5:30pm*
         Raking leaves and cleaning at the Women's Fund. Transportation
provided
*
VIP Hunger and Homeless Banquet – Sunday Nov 16  from 7 -8pm in the
Champaign YMCA Basement*
          *Free Chipotle and Free Enlightenment:* A free banquet aimed to
feed and inform you about our current global food crisis.  This is a chance
for you to experience what the rest of the world goes through on a daily
basis. On arrival, you will receive a "meal ticket" marked as high income,
middle income, and low income. The wealthy (high income) get CHIPOTLE!!!
Others will get rice and beans while others only rice. Come on out for a
chance at FREE Chipotle, learn about world hunger, and leave full (or
hungry). *May count as a service hour as we will be writing a letter to
Congress to initiate change for our national community -Ask your service
chair!* If you and your friends are interested, please email Christina
Dracopoulos at vip.hunger.homeless at gmail.com as spots are limited!

***Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week*
*14th* Dark Days (movie) in the Illini Union Colonial Room at 9 pm
*16th* Hunger Banquet Co-sponsored w/ VIP at the University YMCA 7pm
*18th* Benefit Concert, Illini Union Ballroom co-sponsored with Habitat for
Humanity U of I Chapter Time: TBA
*18th* Cans across the Quad
For more information Contact the Office of Volunteer programs at *
ovp at illinois.edu* or at (217)333-7424

**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Other Organizations:*
***Alternative Spring Break – Looking for Site Facilitators*
My name is Brittany Balazs, and I am on the planning board of Alternative
Spring Break. ASB sends service trips all over the US during the Fall,
Winter, Spring and Summer breaks, and each trip works with different social
justice or environmental issues.
ASB is currently looking for students to apply to be Site-Facilitators for
the upcoming Spring trips. Site-facs work in teams of two to plan the trip
logistics (confirming housing and planning the trip itinerary)to manage and
maintain group dynamics, and facilitate discussion and learning about that
trip's particular issue. Being a Site-Facilitator is a very rewarding and
useful experience.
For more information about ASB, Site-Facilitating or the application
process, please visit *www.illinoisasb.org <http://www.illinoisasb.org/>* If
you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to email me at *
bbalaz2 at illinois.edu* or at *external at illinoisasb.org*
<external at illinoisasb.org>

*Illini Dance Marathon*
Illini Dance Marathon (Illini DM) is an organization on campus committed to
raising funds towards children with afflictions such as cancer, heart and
muscular disorders, cerebral palsy, and accident or trauma victims.  It
benefits Children's Miracle Network (CMN) at St. John's Children's Hospital
in Springfield, Illinois and you actually get to meet the families and
children firsthand!  Dance Marathon is a 24-hour event that blends energy,
entertainment, food, and philanthropy into a powerful experience!  This is
only the second year for Dance Marathon at U of I, but we have goals to
double last years efforts. Check out the website at *
http://illinidm.org/index.php*  <http://illinidm.org/index.php>

*
*
*
**Comments? Questions? Concerns? vip.special.projects at gmail.com

**Have a great Holiday Season!**
                       ---Sri  Pernankil
*--
Srinija Pernankil
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Volunteer Illini Projects: Special Projects