VIP Special Projects Read Across American & Upcoming Events

VIP Special Projects vip.special.projects at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 17:26:04 CST 2009

*Hi SP Volunteers!!!

This Saturday is the Read Across America event. Come help us celebrate
literacy with the National Education Association's Read Across America. We
will be meeting up in the North Lounge of the Illini Union at 8:30am and
will be leaving at 8:45am. If you prefer to meet us there, please let me
know. We will be going to the Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana. There we will
be helping with staffing the event, setting up, taking down, and help booths
with activities for families. There are three shifts from 9-11, 11-1, and
1-3 ( you can stay the whole time). Please email me ASAP ( by Friday @ 12pm)
if you'd like to attend. Since SP feel those who volunteer should be
rewarded for their service, those who complete 10 hours this semester will
get a gift card to a local restaurant (Chipotle, Zas, Potbelly's, Noodles).

*
*Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities: *

* GOT BAGS???*

The Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club of Champaign - Urbana is hosting a
fundraising event on *March 13th and 14th* at the Lincoln Square Mall in
Urbana. *VIP Special Projects* is looking for volunteers to work
registration and scoreboards for this event. If you choose to volunteer, you
get to enter the tournament for free...so there is no reason not to!

Are you interested in a Bags tournament but do not want to/ don't have the
time to volunteer?* Get a few of your friends together and enter the
tournament!* It is only $20/team, and all of the proceeds go to the Boys and
Girls Club! It's a great way to contribute to the community and have fun
while doing it!

The tournament is held at Lincoln Square Mall (Joe's Brewery has a FREE
trolley that will take you right to 88 and Broadway which is located right
near the tournament, so you don't even have to drive!) There are a few
different team league divisions, with details outlined in the attached Press
Release. First place prizes include cash prizes, so you are definitely going
to want to play! Second and third place teams get the chance to win custom
bag sets and other great prizes!

Some of you may notice - this is the weekend of the basketball tournament,
but do not worry, we were thinking that too! There will be big-screen T.V.'s
playing the games, and once again, you will be right next to 88 & Broadway,
so you can stop in to catch the games there.

If you are looking to get more involved with* VIP Special Projects*, this is
an awesome opportunity. It is an extremely easy way to get involved, and we
are not asking a lot of you, just a little help with the tournament!

So if you are interested, invite some friends, and help out!
E-mail us back and let us know if you would like to participate, remember
that *THERE ARE SEMESTER INCENTIVES!! *Donate your time and volunteer with
Special Projects, and you will be rewarded!

RECAP:
What: Don Moyer Boys & Girls Club Champaign Urbana Bags Tournament
Where: Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana (You can take the trolley!)
Why: Because it will be awesome!
When:  Friday, March 13th 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm Pro Division
           Saturday, March 14th  1:00 pm - 7:00 pm Open Division
                                              2:00 pm - 10:00 pm University
Division
                                              7:00 pm - 10:00 pm Completion
Pro Division

*Westview Elementary School Spring Fun Fest*
*March 13th, 2009*
*6pm-8:30pm*

Remember how exciting going to the fair was when you were a kid? They need
students to help run carnival games (balloon toss, cake walk, face painting,
fishing pond, etc) for an elementary school carnival.  All volunteers will
be provided a meal and be asked to run simple games and pass out prizes.

*Illinois State Geological Survey Annual Expo*
*March 13th- 14th, 2009*
*9am-3pm*

Their expo brings several thousand people to campus, mostly elementary and
middle school students, to learn about natural resources in the state of
Illinois. They would need people both days from 9am – 3pm to help guide
people around our building, traffic control, lunch supervision, and help
with demonstrations.  Experience with Geology, Natural History,
Sustainability, etc. is not required but if someone has experience in any of
those fields that would be a plus. They are looking for at least 4
volunteers each hour, and people are welcome to do multiple hour shifts. You
are not committed to both days.

*Independent Media Center Book Sale
April 2nd- 5th, 2009
2pm-5pm*

We are gearing up for our biannual book sale and we are in need of
volunteers to help us move books into the sale space on Wednesday afternoon,
April 1 and out of the space on Sunday afternoon, April 5.

*Benefits to you other than a great work out include:*

   - groups that move books into the space get first dibs on thousands of
   book titles at bargain basement prices
   - groups that move books out of the space get as many free books as they
   can haul
   - drinks and snacks
   - the intangible sense that you are making the world a better place, one
   small gesture at a time

  We are looking for volunteers from 2-5 pm on Wednesday afternoon and from
2-5 pm on Sunday afternoon.

*Please contact me if you want to attend any of these events, have any
questions or concerns. Enjoy the rest of the Week!!!!!
*

--
Sheena Johnson
University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign
vip.special.projects at gmail.com