[Vip-tutoring] New Tutoring Opportunity with VIP

cieniews at uiuc.edu cieniews at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 13 22:45:28 CST 2005

Hello my lovely tutors!!

How is everyone doing?  I am writing this email for 2
reasons.  First, I would like to say THANK YOU to each and
every one of you!  Because tutoring is such a large project
that offers such a variety of independent tutoring
opportunities to volunteers, I feel that at times, it is
easy to forget that you are a part of this larger
organization of VIP!  Well, I don’t want you guys to forget
that....I want you all to know that the time you give to
tutor a child, whether it is at Urbana Middle School, Canaan
Academy, Urbana High School, or any of our other programs,
really is recognized and so greatly appreciated! :) You guys
are the best, and I know that all of the agencies we work
with feel the same.

Just the other day I had the chance to talk with Crystal
from Urbana High School (she is the woman who runs the
tutoring program there), and can I just say that she had
nothing but wonderful things to say about VIP tutors!  So…
all you tutors who volunteer at UHS, you rock!!  And all of
you who volunteer with other programs...so do you!!  Ok…so
now that you all know how wonderful you are...On to the
second reason I am writing this email.

VIP Tutoring is offering a new volunteer opportunity for
tutors.  The name of this new agency is BOAST Academy, and I
think that some of you will definitely be interested in this
one!  BOAST works with elementary school children in an
after school program that meets Monday through Friday from 2-
5:30pm at Kenwood Elementary School.  The mission of the
BOAST program is to stimulate academically at-risk
children's interest in science, and to serve as a national
resource for hands-on science and internet lessons.

Volunteer tutors at BOAST will work with staff and other
volunteers from both U of I and the community in assisting
in the activities of the after school program.  Usually,
this will include helping students with some science
experiment for the day and also helping them with their
homework when needed.  For all you non-science people out
there, don’t be scared away!  I have been told that the
experiments are quite easy, and there will always be a staff
member leading the experiment.

For more information of BOAST Academy, you can visit their
website at http://www.life.uiuc.edu/hughes/boast/index.htm.
The website provides more detailed info as well as a map and
bus schedule for getting to Kenwood Elementary.

If you are interested in volunteering with BOAST as a VIP
tutor, please email Alice Moon at amoon at uiuc.edu.  She will
be able to give you additional info on how to go about
getting started at BOAST. :)

OK!!!! I think that covers it for today! I apologize for
this VERY LONG email! As always, if you have any questions
or concerns about tutoring, please feel free to email me at
any time!

Sara Cieniewski

Volunteer Illini Projects, Inc.
Director of Tutoring