[Vip-tutoring] NEW OPPORTUNITY!

Maggie Meyers mmeyers2 at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 31 16:36:26 CDT 2006

Hey tutors!! I know it's the beginning of the year, but I already have ANOTHER
opportunity available for you!! Let me know if you're interested in the below
program-- send me the day(s)/times you want to tutor.

Volunteers Wanted!
The Booker T. Washington Afterschool Library Program provides homework,
reading, and math help to at-risk students in grades 3 through 5.

The program arose from the deep need expressed by families in the
Shadowwood community (recent Spanish-speaking immigrants) for assistance
for children who needed help with schoolwork. Many of the Shadowwood
children attend B.T. Washington School; Spanish is helpful, but not required.
This year, in addition to working with students at BTW school, we plan to
include evening or weekend activities with parents of the students and develop a
Community Funds of Knowledge project. For background information, see our
website: http://ilabs.inquiry.uiuc.edu/ilab/btwalp.

Volunteers are needed for Fall and Spring semesters, from 3:15 to 5:15 on
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The program begins on September 19.

B.T. Washington School is located at 606 E. Grove in Champaign (at the
intersection of Wright St.), next door to the Douglass Branch Library.

Volunteers need to complete a volunteer application and criminal background
check (look under "Volunteer forms & Orientation" in the Document Center on
our website). Also, contact Julie Healy at BTW school to schedule a 20 min.
mandatory volunteer orientation session. The background clearance process
takes at least a week, so contact Julie as soon as possible:
healyju at champaignschools.org
Margaret S. Meyers
University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
Spanish, Seconday Education

Director of Tutoring, Volunteer Illini Projects
Treasurer, Acting on AIDS
Member, Campus Crusade for Christ

Take 60 seconds out of your life to save lives..
JOIN THE ORGAN DONOR REGISTRY TODAY!
https://www.ilsos.gov/organdonorregister/
In Memory of Mary Jane Meyers, 11/8/05
*Love You, Mom*