[Volunteers-summer] [Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (08/5/03)

sarakhan sarakhan at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:25:12 CDT 2003

Good Afternoon!

Table of Contents:

1. YMCA--Dump-N-Run
2. The Salvation Army--Social Service
3. Eastern Illinois Foodbank (EIF)--AmeriCorps Program
4. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society-- Light the Night Walk Planning Meeting

***

1.  Dump-N-Run Volunteers are desperately needed. Every Monday in August we
have workdays from 9am-3:30pm-if you can come help for any time at all we
would love to have your assistance! No heavy lifting is necessary!  If you are
interested in volunteering during the week of our Annual Garage Sale we are
looking for volunteers. We need help between 9am-6pm Monday-Friday, August
25-29th. Please call Becca at 337-1514.

2.  Volunteers will be assisting individuals or families that are in need of
food and other various assistance. Volunteers are needed to interview the
clients to assess their needs and enter in their information into a computer
program. Ability to bag and carry light-weight bags of groceries is not
required but appreciated!  Contact  Linda Shin at (217) 373-5014 for more
information.

3.  The Eastern Illinois Foodbank (EIF) is seeking volunteers to take part in
an AmeriCorps program that will enlist 16 part-time AmeriCorps members.
Members will receive a $5,241 living allowance throughout their one year of
part-time (900 hours) service. To strengthen the emergency food network, the
Foodbank needs AmeriCorps member assistance to conduct a thorough analysis of
where the gaps in emergency food service lie, identify community resources
available to emergency food programs, encourage organizations to create
programs that meet the needs of those in poverty, and provide increased
support to all member agencies working to feed the hungry. Specifically, the
Foodbank would like AmeriCorps members to identify areas of poverty throughout
our service area based upon existing resources.  Members will complete a
variety of tasks including: > Recruiting and managing volunteers; > Surveying
low-income individuals and food pantry personnel; > Communicating with
community businesses and individuals; > Researching via internet and library;
> Educating agencies; > Making many telephone calls; > Networking, building
partnerships Qualified members will have the following skills: > Some college
education preferable; > Must be computer literate; > Highly developed people
and team skills; > Good communication skills; > Organized; > Reliable; >
Available to work some nights and weekends. If you are interested in serving
on this AmeriCorps project, please send an application to Beth Hewing at the
Foodbank, 2405 North Shore Drive, Urbana, IL 61802-7221. Please contact Beth
at (217) 328-3663 ex. 20 or bahewing at eifoodbank.org with any questions.

4.  For anyone wanting to assist with the Light the Night Walk planning
meeting, or to get more information on building a Light the Night Team. Also
to volunteer for the night of the walk. Team packets will be available at the
meeting on Aug 15, 2003 (6:00 p.m.).  Jenny Cheek or Judy Grumish (217)
352-6399 or (309) 451-1692.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha & Sara
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp