[Sandra Ahten Art] shows, classes, studio space & more

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:12:58 CDT 2005

ART HAPPENING
>From Sandra Ahten

“Art Happenings” is sent to art makers, art lovers, and art buyers to let
them know of happenings in the Urbana Champaign community. You may have been
recently added to this list. It is very low traffic (less than once a month)
and your name will not be shared. If you want to unsubscribe: Follow the
directions at the end of the email.

******************************

UPCOMING SHOWS –
See Art -- Hear Jazz

On Friday, June 17 two art shows will open in downtown Champaign. “One
Common Denominator” a show presenting the work of nine local artists will be
held at Old Vic Art Gallery, 11 E. Main, Champaign. Classic jazz by Mark
Smart on guitar and Rob Hammond on bass will be featured from 5:30-7:30pm
during the reception (5-8pm). I am one of the nine artists. Next door, I
will be displaying my nostalgic paintings as fun adornments for the
collection of retro modern furniture & house wares at the Furniture Lounge.
(9 E. Main).

Artists in “One Common Denomiator” include: Sandra Ahten, Brian Bialeschki,
Chris Evans, Jaimie Kruidenier, Arlene Rappaport,  Lisa and Lark Moreno,
Steve Selander, Michael and Bridgette Sherfield,  and John Short.
Complete information here:
http://www.spiritofsandra.com/sandra_body.php?page=shows
monthly at the studios of local artists.  All artist are welcome to show
their work and get feedback from other artists. I am hosting this months
crits on June15 at 7pm at the High Cross Art Studio. 1101 N. High Cross
Road. Contact me for directions or to sign up for a critique.
http://www.40north.org/goodtime/thisweek.html
******************************

MOVING MOVING MOVING MOVING / STUDIO SPACE/ ARTIST COLLECTIVE
I am moving my studio space (both my own painting space and my teaching/
woodshop space) from my comfy confines at High Cross Road to the heart of
downtown Urbana. The not for profit, all volunteer operated, Independent
Media Center (UCIMC) bought the old Post Office. For the next 10 years, the
Post Office will retain its windows and boxes up front, but the UCIMC is
utilizing the rest of the huge old historic building. I am renting
individual studio space as well as sharing space as part of an artist’s
collective. You are welcome to join me there to rent space of your own, join
the collective, or take a class. You can find details here:
http://www.spiritofsandra.com/sandra_body.php?page=news&pagetitle=News%20by%20Sandra#
******************************
CLASSES
http://www.spiritofsandra.com/sandra_body.php?page=classes

-- FREE! Altered Book Workshop** Saturday July 23, Noon-5pm. FREE! An
altered book is any book, old or new that has been recycled by creative
means into a work of art. They can be ... rebound, painted, cut, burned,
folded, added to, collaged in, gold-leafed, rubber stamped, drilled or
otherwise adorned.

-- Weekend Oil Painting Workshop** (for the beginning new to intermediate
level)  August 5, 6, 7.

-- Art With Intention – Open Studio **  Weekly drop in time between 4-9pm on
Thursday. This class is not group-taught, but individually directed to each
of the students. It is an opportunity for adults to explore their creative
voices. Individualized instruction will be based on the student's desire to
learn new media; gain skill in a practice such as drawing, watercolor or oil
painting; or explore a theme, etc.

**********************
BATHROOM SCALES -- I am collecting old bathroom scales (any condition) for
an upcoming art installation.
**********************
CALL FOR ENTRIES -- 61st Annual Wabash Valley Juried Exhibition. This art
show at The Sheldon Swope Art Museum in Terre Haute IN is one of the often
one of the best in the region: Usually having a prestigious judge and decent
sales. All media are accepted. Entry fee is $25. Postmark deadline June 22.
www.swope.org.

Until next time, keep those creative juices flowing!
Sandra Ahten
217-367-6345
spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
www.spiritofsandra.com