[Bikecoop-announce] Bike Triage Work Party

Ben Galewsky ben at peartreestudio.net
Mon Jan 29 21:32:43 CST 2007

Dear Bike Project –

I know that this will get reported in the minutes from Sunday’s meeting, but
I figured it would be nice to get the word out early and often about a big
work party this Saturday at the Bike Project’s space to begin restoring our
inventory of bikes with the aim of getting ready for a Spring Bike Sale.

When: Saturday the 3rd of February between 1:00 and 7:00

Greasy Fingered Potluck Dinner at 5:00

** Help the bike project

** Learn some essential repair techniques

** Hang out with fun people

Experts will be on hand to advise repair and restoration problems.

-- If you can only come for an hour then please come for an hour!

-- No experience necessary!

-- Invite friends!

If you have access to a truck or a van then please help out by hauling dross
to the scrap yard.

These are tasks I am thinking we should attempt on the day

1.	Look at all of the bikes in the collection and assess which frames
are worth holding on to
2.	Strip parts off of worthless frames. Clean as necessary. Haul the
frame away as scrap.
3.	Organize wheels, discard bent and broken ones, patch tubes as
necessary and inflate tires
4.	Match wheels to keeper frames
5.	Match spare parts to frames
6.	Restore bikes

Everyone should be able to take turns working in any task they desire.

Take a look at this list and see what supplies or tools we will be requiring
to complete. For instance do we need to establish a good place to clean the
bike parts with degreaser/toothbrushes/steel wool?

We also can use patches. Do we have a supply already?

I think we will be able to get more accomplished if people bring in some of
their own tools such as hex keys, wrenches, screwdrivers and tire pump.

We have a nice collection of tools, but some common tools might be in high
demand.

9:04 AM