[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project Events Announcement - Lots to do!

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:32:05 CDT 2008

Hey everybody!  Hope your legs are tired from riding too much in the great
weather we're having.  Just a quick update on bike stuff that's going on in
the next couple of weeks.

*The Bike Project News*

   - We've moved into our new, expanded space and are starting to get
   organized.  Its very exciting and there is a lot more room for setting up
   bike racks during open hours.  Stop by and see how it looks.
   - The Bike Project is helping to sponsor CCB's bike safety and
   awareness campaign.  You will see us on the new Share the Road bus, the
   upcoming CU bike map, and at the May 4th BikeFest.
   - We're now a Registered Student Organization (RSO) with the
   University.  This means we'll be recruiting on campus on quad day and
   working more with the University.
   - There is a Bike Project loaner bike trailer (with large Rubbermaid
   bin) available for members.  The trailer has already be checked out several
   times for anything from hardware store trips to picking up donation bikes.
   - The Urbana Farmer's Market is coming up (Saturdays at Lincoln
   Square) and TBP will be staffing a table on five Saturdays - VOLUNTEERS
   NEEDED FOR STAFFING.  Will provide dates soon.  This table is a cooperation
   with the several different bike organizations in the area.  The purpose is
   to publicize the organizations, get members, and promote biking as
   transportation and recreation.
   - TBP is restarting Mechanic's Tuesdays - 6-8PM.  We need to build
   some bikes up for the CCB BikeFest Auction and some kids bikes for Safe
   Routes.  Tuesdays are for building bikes for only these purposes - no
   personal bike maintenance and no bike sales.

*TBP Spring Hours* - Sun 2–5PM / Mon 6:30–8:30PM / Wed 3-5PM / Thurs 6-9PM
(see you there)
**
*Calendar Events* - There's a lot going on.  Make sure your bike is ready!
**
*1) Saturday, April 26th - Students For A Better World (Uni High Club)
Spring Bike Ride to benefit A Woman's Fund.*

   - 3 Routes, 16.9 miles, 45.6 miles, and 67.2 miles
   - Registration is from 8am to 1pm, $15 for the first rider, $10 for
   the second, $5 for the first two kids and free after that.
   - Maps will be provided. Routes will be SAG supported for the entire
   duration of the ride, and there will be rest stops with food. All routes
   will be marked.
   - The ride registration is on the East side of Lincoln Square Mall -
   Urbana.

*2)* *The Bike Project* *April General Meeting (Sunday April 27th, 5PM at
The Bike Project)*

   - All interested parties are invited.  Very busy this time of year so
   we can use all the help we can get.
   - If you want to get more involved or learn more about TBP - this is
   the place to start.
   - We'll be talking about BikeFest, fixing up kids bikes for Safe
   Routes to School, finalizing the organization of the shop in the new space,
   and much, much more.
   - If you have agenda items, please edit the agenda located at:
   thebikeproject.org/wiki.

*3)* *Sunday, May 4th - BIKEFEST - A celebration of all things bike!*

   - Get the BIKEFEST poster - www.champaigncountybikes.org - Post it all
   over the place and tell all the cyclists you know.
   - The Bike Project is a joint sponsor of this event and the CCB's
   educational campaign.
   - TBP will be auctioning some nice rehabilitated used bikes and
   holding FREE bike maintanence clinics.
   - Events including 9AM Women in Transition Bike Ride, Bike Parade,
   Kids' Bike Safety Rodeo, TBP Bike Auction, Bike Film Fest, CUMTD Bus Bike
   Rack Demos, Live Music, Bike Repair Seminars, Antique and Custom Bike
   Contest... whew, that's a lot of stuff.  Don't miss it!

*4) The Ride of Silence, Wednesday May 21st @ 7PM,* Starting at the corner
of First St. and St. Marys (7 mile loop)

   - A memorial ride for those killed while cycling.
   - Black arm bands to be worn in memory of those lost.  Survivors of
   bike/car collisions should wear red arm bands.
   - This is a slow and silent but powerful ride.  Memorial signs on
   pannier racks can help communicate the ride purpose.
   - Those that aren't participating in the ride are encouraged to attend
   a candlelight vigil at the ride start for the duration of the ride.
   - Flyers and cue sheets will be available on the website shortly - *
   www.thebikeproject.org* <http://www.thebikeproject.org/>
   - Background info on the purpose of the ride -
*www.rideofsilence.org*<http://www.rideofsilence.org/>

Keep the good weather rolling!

*Tony Cherolis*
*The Bike Project*
**
*Located at:* 202 S. Broadway in the Basement of the UCIMC Building (old
Urbana Post Office Depot).  Access the space via the back stairwell in the
alley.