[Bikecoop-announce] Build-A-Bikes, Personal Bikes, Parts Expiration (Spring Cleaning at the Co-op)

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:03:14 CST 2009

Dear Bike Project Members:

Due to space restrictions please see below.  We need to make room for the
last shipment of bikes from the University this spring and it is time for a
little early spring cleaning of the co-op.

*Build-A-Bike Expirations*

We have been going through the many bikes stored in the co-op and have found
that there are quite a few Build-a-bikes that have expired.  Build-A-Bikes
are to be worked on and completed in 14 days.  If you need more time and are
actively working on the bike, update the tag on the bike with a new date.
 Any build idle for two weeks (e.g. past its latest Build Expires date)
risks being claimed by another member and/or sold. If you are still
interested in building the bike, please come in and update your tag or fill
out a new BAB tag.  Since we just went through the holiday season, if you
have a BAB with an expiration or start date from December, we will give you
a grace period but please come in and start working on the bike/update your
tags once you get back. If your expiration date is older than December, it
may be made available for others to claim. If you are still interested in
building it, please come back in and re-claim it if it is still available.

*Personal Bikes*

Also, there are many "personal bikes" that have been stored in the back of
the co-op, some for quite some time (some 6 months to over a year+).  While
we allow members to leave their bikes and parts properly tagged and dated,
we do not have the room to store bikes that are not currently being worked
on.  Please limit storage of bikes to no more than two weeks unless you are
actively working on the bike and please update your tag. Personal bikes left
in the Co-op for long periods of time maybe scrapped or sold, although we
will make an attempt to contact the owners before doing so.  We intend on
contacting "personal bike" owners directly regarding the status of their
bikes/ bigger parts.

*Parts/Bins*

There are also many parts bins with a possible combination of Bike Project
and personal bike parts that have been there for a long time.  Please* make
sure that you have your name, contact info and date on your bins and
remember to update the dates on the bins*.  Bins with older dates (2007,
early 2008) may have their materials returned to the used parts so that we
have room for others to store their parts.  We will attempt to contact
members before doing so.

Please see http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/shop-guide for full rules on
Build-a-bikes, personal bikes, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.  If there are
extenuating circumstances for extensions or needing more time, please
contact me or another staff member. Winter is a great time to get a bike
ready to go for the spring.

Regards,

Todd Spinner, Wednesday & Sunday Volunteer (with the help of Joel G. and
Tony C.)