[Bikecoop-announce] Campus Bike Project Update - April 2010

Campus Bike Project campusbikeproject at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:23:51 CDT 2010

Hello everyone,

*CAMPUS BIKE PROJECT NOW OPEN*

In case you weren't aware, The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign now has a
second location: it's called the Campus Bike
Project<http://thebikeproject.org/campus.html>,
and it's located at 608 E. Pennsylvania Ave. in Champaign. Google maps still
thinks that address is in Urbana, but click this link to see a correct map
of the CBP location<http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=40.100726&lon=-88.22995&zoom=16&q1=608%20E%20Pennsylvania%20Ave%2C%20Champaign%2C%20IL%2C%2061820>.
We're behind overhead doors 8 through 13 on the west side of the Natural
Resources garage, just east of the law building and just west of the Stock
Pavilion; just south of the Natural Resources building and just north of the
cemetery.

We opened at the end of March, and we're ready to help with your bike repair
needs. The CBP works pretty much like the IMC location does, and your
membership is reciprocal, so feel free to use whichever location is more
convenient.

The CBP is open during times when the Urbana location isn't, so between the
two locations, we now have almost 30 hours per week of staffed hours where
you can get help fixing your bike. Here are the hours at the Campus
location:

Sunday: 5 to 9 p.m.
Monday: 8 a.m. to 12 noon
Tuesday: 6 to 9 p.m.
Friday: 12 noon to 5 p.m.

*OPEN HOUSE TOMORROW AFTERNOON*

To celebrate Earth Day one day late, the Campus Bike Project will be holding
an Open House on Friday, April 23 from 12 noon to 5 p.m. Every hour on the
hour, you can get a tour of the shop and ask any questions you might have.

*HOW YOU CAN HELP*

The CBP is still in that cute baby-animal stage when it's almost able to
walk on its own, but still stumbles from time to time. Aw, precious, huh?
Don't you just want to give us a helping hand? Here's are some ways you can
help:

   1. *Forward this email* to people you know who you think would get some
   good out of our shop
   2. *Hang up some fliers around campus.* We have plenty at the shop; stop
   by and pick some up. Post them on bulletin boards, staple them around bike
   handlebars, hand them out to random people on the quad or at a residence
   hall, etc.
   3. *Volunteer during open hours.* Have a couple hours a week to spare?
   Want to learn more about bike repair or help others repair their bikes? Or
   maybe you have organizational skillz you'd like to share? Or perhaps you'd
   just like to greet people at the door? We have a bunch of volunteer
   opportunities available, so stop in and inquire, or reply to this email.
   4. *Donate something on our wish list.* We have several things we could
   use that we'd prefer not to have to purchase. Scan through this list and see
   if you have anything you can spare:

   - Bookshelf stereo or computer speakers: my little transistor radio isn't
      getting it done
      - Couches or chairs: we'd like to get a lounge area going in the back
      of the shop; end of the school year is coming, and this kind of
thing should
      be opening up
      - Small refrigerator: Just a little dorm-sized guy would do the job.
      - Microwave: Same here; we get hungry too, you know?
      - Digital camera: Doesn't have to be anything special, just so we can
      upload photos to the web
      - Bikes and bike parts: Don't abandon your bike on the rack for the
      summer, and don't let your friend do it either. Drop it by the shop and
      we'll put it to use.

OK, that should about cover it for right now. Thanks for your time, and I
look forward to seeing you at the Campus Bike Project.

Joel Gillespie
Manager, Campus Bike Project

believed to be clean.