[Bikecoop-announce] Volunteer for Light the Night 2012!

Barry Isralewitz barry.isralewitz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:05:11 UTC 2012

Hello,

	Light the Night 2012 is coming, this September 13!

  With 4 hours to install 800 free bike light sets, we'll need a good-sized crew of volunteers.   This will be the fifth year in a row for Light the Night. We've seen big improvements in safe night biking around here, but -- in part thanks to the excellent trend toward more and more new bicyclists on the streets --  there's still a lot of work to do.

  You can sign up for a 2-hour shift here:

http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/light-the-night-2012

  Volunteering is generally a lot of fun -- the crowds are very happy to get free bike lights!

Light the Night 2012
Free Bike Light Giveaway
Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012 from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Location 1: Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright, Urbana, IL)
Location 2: Corner of Illinois St. and Lincoln Ave. (near Illinois Street Residence Hall) Urbana, IL

	Optional training session and battery installation sessions:

---- There will be two chances to go to a short training session for those who haven't participated before, those who want a refresher, or those who want to practice with this year's models of reflectors and lights (some changes from previous years):
 -- Mon., Sept.10, 2012  6:00 pm--6:45 pm, at the Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL (enter via south side basement door).
(training followed by optional battery install session, light refreshment provided)
 -- Thu., Sept. 13, 2012,  3:15 pm--3:45 pm, at Alma Mater (SE corner of Green St. and Wright, Urbana, IL)

---- There will be two battery installation sessions in the days before the giveaway, to help us get the lights ready to install.  You are welcome to one or both of these sessions whether or not you are signed up for the giveaway:
 -- Mon., Sept. 10, 2012  6:45 pm--9:00 pm, at the Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL (enter via south side basement door).
 -- Wed., Sept 12, 2012  6:30 pm--9:00 pm, at the Downtown Urbana Bike Project, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana, IL (enter via south side basement door).
  Light (heh) refreshments provided; if possible, email barry.isralewitz at gmail.com (subject "battery install") if you plan to come to a battery-install session.

	About the giveaway:
  We'll be installing, completely free, roughly 800 Planet Bike "be seen" light sets (a mix of their  "Blinky Safety" and "Spok" sets), many the same kind as we sell at The Bike Project -- that makes 1600 blinky lights, counting front and rear.  Don't forget to tell your friends about the giveaway, but remind them: lights are only installed directly onto bikes. "If you want free lights, bring your bike."

    Light the Night 2012 is a program of Campus Area Transportation Study partners and affiliated groups.

	Hope you can volunteer!

		Cheers,

		Barry Isralewitz
--