[Bikecoop-announce] Bike Art Event Opening to be held Friday, October 19

Joel Gillespie joel.gillespie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:14:19 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

I’d like to invite you to what we think will be a pretty cool deal: a
bicycle-themed poster event that we’re calling Tandem <http://tandemcu.org>.
The opening is coming up on Friday, October 19 at Café Kopi from 7 to 9
p.m. If you’re looking to get some holiday gift shopping done, as well as
supporting local artists and the Bike Project, this is an opportunity to do
all of those things. Even if you don’t buy anything, you can check out
awesome bike-themed art from 20 artists and designers. Hope to see you
there!

Please share the Facebook invite for the
event<http://www.facebook.com/events/439364692775988/>with anyone you
think would be interested. Let me know if you have any
questions. Thanks!

Joel

Here’s the official press release for the event:

CHAMPAIGN, IL – Tandem: Bicycles and Artwork (http://www.tandemcu.org),
will be selling reasonably-priced, bicycle-inspired posters and works of
art from more than 20 designers and artists at Cafe Kopi in downtown
Champaign. Tandem will begin with an opening event at Cafe Kopi on Friday,
October 19, 2012, from 7 to 9 p.m., and the works will be continuously
displayed for approximately one month afterward.

Event co-organizers Molly Poganski (of the Living Letter
Press<http://livingletterpress.com/LivingLetterPress/Home.html>)
and Joel Gillespie said, “Even if you don’t consider yourself an artist,
Tandem is a great opportunity for you to share your work with the
Champaign-Urbana area. We hope the show will encourage more collaboration
and connection between the bicycle and art communities.”

Prints will be sold for $20 apiece, with original artwork somewhat higher.
The artists will keep 60% of the proceeds from the sale of their works, and
the remaining funds will be donated to The Bike Project of
Urbana-Champaign<http://thebikeproject.org/> to
help establish a cooperative bicycle shop in North Champaign.

Bike Project volunteer Michael Burns said, “A Bike Project location in
north Champaign (BPN) will help further the parent organization’s mission
'to educate and empower the community by providing a welcoming space to
learn about bicycle repair, engage in maintenance practices, and promote
safe operation through outreach and advocacy activities.'” Tandem
volunteers will be accepting cash and credit card payments in person at the
opening.

More information can be found at http://www.tandemcu.org and
http://www.facebook.com/TandemBicyclesAndArtwork