[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project news: September

Phil Graff pmgraff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 20:05:15 UTC 2013

*Bike Project Monthly Meeting*
The Bike Project will be having our monthly meeting this Monday, Sept 23 at
6:30 p.m. at the IMC location in Urbana. All of our members have input into
the decision making process that goes on at TBP, and this is where we do
it. The agenda is available for review at:
http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/2013-Sep-23+Agenda

*Need Weekend Volunteers*
We are having trouble meeting demand during our weekend hours at the IMC
(Sat and Sun 2-5pm). If you are interested in volunteering during these -
or any other - hours, please let us know (or just start showing up!). It's
a common misconception that you must be a proficient bicycle mechanic in
order to volunteer. If you can do a minor repair or two (fixing flats,
adjusting brakes or derailleurs, replacing chain), then you can help out
with the tasks you know, and learn more advanced repairs from other
mechanics in the shop.

*Around Town*
*Rain Garden Ramble*
Interested in learning more about rain gardens?  Got a bike or one you
could borrow?  On September 21, please join Prairie Rivers Network on a
bike tour of Champaign rain gardens.  On the tour, we will visit with
homeowners who have installed rain gardens, and talk with Leslie Mitchell
(City of Champaign) about the new stormwater utility fee and associated
rain garden incentive program.  To top it all off, we’ll roll over to
Custard Cup for some well-earned treats (on your own).  To register, go to
http://tinyurl.com/rain-garden-ramble.

*Sustainable Choices 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan Public Meeting*
Please join us to discuss existing conditions for the Champaign-Urbana
metro region’s population demographics, land use, environment, and
transportation system. There will also be an opportunity to provide input
on your vision for the future of the Champaign-Urbana metro region. A
presentation will be given at 6:30 pm and light refreshments will be
served.

The meeting will take place Oct. 2 from 6-8 pm at: Illinois Terminal, 45 E
University Ave, Champaign, IL 61820. More info at http://www.cuuats.org/lrtp

*Local Pedestrian/Cycling Safety Issues*
A group is trying to contact as many folks in this community who are
affected or have been affected by trying to cross S. Prospect between W.
Green St and Armory Dr.  I am looking for people who are interested in
aligning themselves with the Group Page that has been set up on FB called:
  A Dangerous Prospect. This Group Page will serve as an open forum for
discussion, updates, and calls to action (if it comes to that point). We
are working on a way to make crossing that road safer!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/636829696350369/

Thanks,
Phil
Volunteer, The Bike Project