[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project: Monthly Meeting, lots of announcements for May

Phil Graff pmgraff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:53:22 EDT 2016

Hello fellow members,

*Monthly Meeting*
We will be holding the *member meeting Wednesday April 27th at 6:30 pm* at
the downtown Urbana/IMC location.  Everyone is encouraged to come, everyone
gets a say and equal vote.  As always there will be free pizza.

May is Bike Month and there are a lot of things going on.  Please read
below if you are interested in participating or would like to volunteer for
some great programs.
*Events and Volunteer opportunities*

*Weekend Staffing at Urbana/IMC*
We have need for volunteers both mechanical and non mechanical to help keep
the Bike Project running.  The Saturday and Sunday hours have been closed
occasionally due to lack to staffing.  You don't need to know anything to
volunteer.  If you can volunteer please come by the member meeting, or
respond via e-mail contact at thebikeproject.org to explore ways you can help.

*Bike Maintenance WorkshopVolunteer opportunity!!* We are looking for 1-3
volunteers help us out with a basic bike maintenance workshop on *Saturday
May 14* from *2-3:30pm* at the *Urbana Free Library*. If you are interested
in helping folks learn to change a flat and the ABCs of bike
maintenance, *email
Liz Mallott* at contact at thebikeproject.org!

*SPLASH Volunteers*
*Want to give free bikes to kids?*The Bike Project has built and is
donation several kids bikes for the SPLASH class this year.  We need help
delivering the bikes to the expectant kids, and SPLASH needs help with the
rodeo below is the informational e-mail

We have a very engaged group of students in our Ready.Set.Bike SPLASH class
this year. About half of the them are new to our country having come here
from the Congo. Some have limited English skills. I am also concerned that
we may have some who do not know how to ride a bike. For this reason I am
hoping we can get a large number of volunteers to help Wednesday with our
bike rodeo.We would appreciate confirming who is able to come in advance.
Please let us know either by email or by signing up on the website if you
can come and assist.

Urbana Middle School Bike Rodeo Volunteer Sign-Up: *April 27th*, 2:50 -
4:15 PM.

To fill it out, visit:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1l6yhloNGiaosyOqOV2
NdJdVqNqCUcUMhfhVwGZnv7R0/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

*Pump You Up in the Park - Bike Month Kickoff*
Champaign County Bikes is looking for volunteer help in staffing our Bike
Month Kick-off event, *"Pump You Up at the Park"* *Sunday May 1st from 1:30
-3:30 PM*

*"Pump You Up at the Park"* is an effort to encourage families and cyclists
of all ages to get their bikes out of winter storage, dust them off, and
bring them to a nearby park to get the tires properly inflated, seats
adjusted, along with a quick safety check.

We will need 3-4 persons at each location to man the stations and help with
proper tire inflation, tube repair if needed, as well as an A-B-C quick
check to make sure the bikes are safe to ride.

This is also an opportunity for your organization, whether it is one of our
great local bikes shops, an Illini 4000 Rider, or the Prairie Cycle Club to
promote your organization and its role in supporting active transportation
in the Champaign - Urbana community.

For the "*Pump You Up at the Park" *event  we'd like to include some Family
Bike Ride(s) led by Prairie Cycle Club Volunteers or others at each
location - not more than 4-5 miles, flexible distance and route of leader's
choice. Ideally, two rides would be scheduled...an early ride about 2:15
and a second ride about 3:15. This is completely dependent on volunteers
helping out!

Locations for "*Pump You Up at the Park" *are:

*Champaign:*   Douglass Park*, *Centennial Park, Hessel Park
*Urbana:* Meadowbrook Park, Prairie Park near the Brookens Gymansium
*Savoy:* Prairie Fields Park
Date/Time: *Sunday, May 1, 1:30 - 3:30 PM*
Family Ride(s): Based on volunteer availability, times to be announced at
each location

*To Volunteer go to: *  http://goo.gl/forms/52nfL7O34q
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_forms_52nfL7O34q&d=CwMDaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=N9xkoq9ravcs6Oit7jtETjbm29nG6zgVjWl6j2Drn1w&m=BMnEzVD49dEGxyjREZLJkwLhmYPjMKQsixaQ0zTfoN4&s=aZ_ZBGexDUi6OBcVrik6EDWRJmiM8DJGEhpKappOouU&e=>

*Wheel Building Class*
This is a wheel building class that will take place every Wednesday night
for 3 weeks. Or May 4th, 11th, and 18th. The first night we will discuss
wheel building theory, design, and order materials. To participate in the
class you must attend the May 4th class. The cost of the class will be $50
plus the cost of materials. Go to this link to pay for the class and and
get reserve your spot: https://squareup.com/store/
the-bike-project-of-urbana-champaign/
<https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsquareup.com%2Fstore%2Fthe-bike-project-of-urbana-champaign%2F&h=iAQFUkcN3&enc=AZPNQeoweZdc0vZMeoVPzdQ4lO5670lKJIngDoFjQMNMMHF3f8cJc_UkAIJNJL4g2IQ&s=1>
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/448398872022455/

*May Family Bike Ride*
Attention parents and families: Come for a leisurely bike ride designed
with kids in mind!

WHERE: We will be meeting at the Urbana Farmer's Market near the Bike to
Work Month booth and biking to Carle Park along quiet streets.
WHAT TO EXPECT: We will be biking along quiet streets with some street
crossings. We will be following all traffic rules and will stop as
necessary to keep the group together. We encourage all adults to watch out
for all the children in the group but parents are ultimately responsible
for their children. Experienced cycling volunteers will be riding at the
front and back to help. You can pack a picnic lunch (or grab one at the
market) to enjoy and play on the playground. The PopStop bike popsicle
stand will also be meeting us there, so bring some cash for a treat.
WHO SHOULD COME: We welcome families and kids riding in all forms -
independently, on trail-behinds, tandems, trailers, bike seats, and
anything else you happen to have. Parents please use your best judgement on
whether your children are ready to ride in the road.

This is a community bike ride not sanctioned or organized by a specific
group.
*Facebook Page*: https://www.facebook.com/events/1676072092643374/

There will be additional volunteer calls for help for various Bike Month
activities as well such as Bike to Work Day, Bike to School Day, Bike to
Market, and several pop up Bike from Work days. Stay tuned!

Thanks much - our success depends on your help as a volunteer.

Phil
Volunteer, The Bike Project