[Bookstoprisoners] Re: Books to Prisoners Jail Library Project

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:15:57 CDT 2005

Jenny,

Thanks for bringing this up. I have discussed this issue with Nancy and she
is planning on having an officer in the library to fan through each book
before they are shelved.

All - Nancy has OK'd the date of Thursday 9/15 at 2:00 PM to shelve the
books at the downtown jail. If you would like to participate in loading and
transporting the books, please meet us at the IMC (Urbana post office - park
in rear and ring buzzer at bottom of steps) at 1:45 or earlier.

If you would simply like to participate in the brief organizational meeting
and shelving the books, please meet us at the jail on Main Street, across
from the courthouse at 2:00 outside the East door at the bottom of the
steps.

- Jay Schubert
217-721-7419

On 9/7/05, Jenny Putman <jenny-p at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Jay Schubert wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Thank you for your quick responses. As I expected, it will be
> > difficult to accomodate everyones availability. Based on your
> > least five of us) to participate in the load-in. Please note - there
> > will still be plenty of opportunities to participate and shape this
> > project after this meeting, for those who can not make this time, I
> > apologize for the short notice and in the future will give more warning.
> >
> > Nancy - please let us know if this time and date works for you.
> >
> > - Jay
> >
> > On 9/3/05, *Jay Schubert* <jay.schubert at gmail.com
> > <mailto:jay.schubert at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> > Radical Librarians,
> >
> > The time has come to execute our plan for building libraries in
> > our jails! When some of us met in the spring, we discussed the
> > opportunities we have to do some very important outreach by
> > bringing media into our local county jails, which began to produce
> > some amazing visions for what is possible. UC books to prisoners
> > has been working all summer to collect donations from our
> > community and carefully select the first 1,000 books to be placed
> > in the Champaign County Jails, we are now ramping-up to the
> > project kick-off event.
> >
> > *We have the books. We have the Sheriff's cooperation. We have
> > an awesome concept. All we need to make it happen now is YOU!*
> >

> > You are invited to participate in making books accessible to the
> > members of our community who are incarcerated locally. As a
> > volunteer, you will be paired with a librarian from our community
> > as you work face to face with inmates while staffing the library
> > we have built for them in the down town Urbana jail.
> >
> > It is our hope that we can count on volunteers to make a single
> > 2-4 hour on-site staffing commitment once per month, allowing us
> > to provide weekly library services at the jail.
> >
> > The only requirements for participation, as a volunteer with the
> > county are that you be at least 21 years of age and have no
> > history of felony convictions.
> >
> > The Load-In
> > This will be a great opportunity to see the Books to Prisoners
> > sorting facility, help transport the books to the jail and shelve
> > them, while getting to know the other participants as well as
> > contribute to the decisions we will make about policy. We need to
> > choose a day / time to transport the 1,000 books we have selected
> > for the jail (boxed by category) from the IMC to the library, hold
> > a meeting there to discuss staffing / lending system / security
> > concerns and how we all fit into the picture and conclude by
> > shelving the books.
> >
> > How you can participate
> > The jail wants these books as soon as possible. So the load-in
> > will event will likely happen within the next 2 weeks! We want to
> > accommodate everyone's schedule who is interested in being
> > involved so _please email me with your **three** best date / times
> [...]

- Jay