[Bookstoprisoners] hidden contraband

Holley K hollymn1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 15:46:33 CDT 2005

This is very exciting.  I think you will all feel a great sense of accomplishment when you actually see jail inmates choosing the books you stocked for them.
I really doubt that the prison mail rooms check books "page by page". haha.  Since  the books are donated by strangers and going to strangers,  there is no motive to hide anything.  I'm sure you,  as well as I,  find receipts in there,  book markers,  business cards,  love notes, etc.  I think the usually method is to hang onto them by the spine upside down and give a quick shake.
Perhaps they can give you a list of books that they don't allow?   I have only had a book returned once,  a book of prize winning stories by inmates from PEN magazine,  "Doing Time".
Rules about nude art varies prison to prison also.
Holley