[Bookstoprisoners] Re: [Btp-jail-libraries] new books

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:32:15 CST 2006

My vote would be to send a large majority of the new books into the county
jail(s) where they will get the maximum use as they curculate and we
will always
have the option of at some point in the future pulling them out of circ (say
if we get a special request for one of them specifically) and sending it to
the inmate in prison who is wanting it.

- Jay

On 2/2/06, Barbara Kessel <barkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had the same thought about prisoners at the jail - more people
> get to read them. On the other hand, prisoners locked away for years
> have no other way to get what they want, so I came out with the same
> thought - split them in half. Barbara
>
> On Feb 2, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Suzanne Linder wrote:
>
> > Hello all--
> >
> > Thank again to Anne Phillips, I just picked up a box of about 40
> > often requested titles by African American authors.  These books
> > were purchased with money raised from the alternative gift
> > program.  About half the money went to buy dictionaries that we are
> > sending to inmates in Illinois and the other half was used to buy
> > poetry, fiction (finally some Donald Goines books), and non-fiction
> > by A-A authors.
> >
> > I think that initially we were going to divide these titles between
> > the jail library and the stock of books that BTP sends to
> > prisoners.  Do we still want to do this?  We do not have multiple
> > copies of most of the books so it seems to me like they might be
> > read by more inmates if they all go to the jail?  But I could also
> > be convinced that half of them should be sent to specific inmates.
> >
> > What do others think?  It would be nice to make a decision by early
> > Saturday afternoon so we can know what to do with them during our
> > packathon.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Suzanne

Jay