[Bookstoprisoners] Hire Sales Coordinator

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:07:14 CST 2006

I really like this idea.  It allows us to focus on what we come together to
do.  I would be in favor of this, as it sounds like a much needed
simplification and streamlining of some of the most difficult aspects of our
operation.

If the person would be willing to work for a guaranteed percentage of the
sale revenue versus a fixed amount, I can hardly think of a reason not to
explore this.

Thanks for all you do, Sandra!

- Jay

On 2/15/06, Sandra Ahten <spiritofsandra at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been discussing with some of you the possibility of having someone in
> charge of sale(s). (For pay)
>
> I recently found out that there is a man who coordinated the Urbana Free
> Library sales for a period of time (before Friends of the Library took
> over)
> and who coordinates Vintage Vinal for WILL.
>
> I talked to him this week about how they paid him. I wasn't clear on the
> library -- but WILL paid him $3500 for 2-3 months of work that took
> between
> 20-40 hours per week. They made $26,000 off of their sale. So this equals
> about 13% of proceeds. He picked up all the donations, did all the
> sorting,
> arranged the place, did some of the publicity, organized the volunteers.
>
> I think we should consider hiring him, or someone with like him with his
> experience for our sales on an ongoing basis and pay them about 15% of
> proceeds. Here is how I see the sales coordinator (SC) position working.
>
> We get donations in and they go to "sort" for our volunteers. Our sorters
> pull what we want for our shelves and for jail. Everything else goes in
> general sale -- or special (for bookstore or other sales avenues -- i.e.
> internet, local bookstore, etc).
>
> CS comes in once a week for about one to two hours and works through these
> boxes, either putting them into our storage room for the sale or putting
> them up on the shelves for the bookstore or selling them some other way.
>
> CS attends meeting with us once a month and gets our go ahead on pending
> issues and reports on how he has progressed with sales.
>
> CS would be expected to conduct 2 sales per year. Set date, secure
> location, tables, coordinate volunteers.
>
> CS would pick up books from Strawberry Fields 2 times a week, drop them at
> IMC at his/her convience.
>
> Would do an accouning to us monthly.
> In closing --
> I'm needing to pull back from BtP right now -- and we need to have a sale.
> Our storage place is almost full. Our bookstore is set up == but needs to
> be
> worked regularly. Someone needs to set a grandopening date/ hoopla for the
> bOokstore and promote it. There are grants that need to be written and
> applied for. We have lots and lots of letters to answer and books to sort.
> We need to do a "volunteer outreach". We need to have someone be the BtP
> spoke for the IMC and attend meetings on every other THursday. (Chris was
> it
> -- but he wears a different hat at that meeting and hasn't been able to
> attend our meetings lately). Soon (I hope) we'll need to staff the other
> jail library. So there is no shortage of things to do. I hope that we'll
> be
> able to find a way to do this and that the extra revenue generated by
> someone being able to devote attention to it will pay for it's self.

> [...]

Jay