[Bookstoprisoners] Books to Prisoners in Illinois

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:45:30 CST 2006

To: Illinois Literacy Foundation
From: Sandra Ahten, Coordinator, UC-Books To Prisoners Program,
www.books2prisoners.org

Hello, I am coordinating a Books To Prisoners Program for prisoners in
Illinois Prisons. We have been active for nearly two years and have put more
than 4000 books into the hands of inmates at no charge to them. We collect
books from the community; sort and store them; and then answer individual
inmates specific requests. We supplement our stock with dictionaries that we
purchase. More than 85% of our first time requests are for dictionaries.

We have more than 20 volunteers participating each week.

In addition we have piloted a program that stocks and staffs our county
jail.

We have done our own funding through books sales (selling excess donated
books) and community solicitation /donations. We are supported in-kind
through our parent organization the UC-Independent Media Center.

I am interested in meeting with you in person or by phone and discussing the
possibility of the Illinois Literacy Foundation funding a few specific
projects. Could you tell me how to reach you -- or what you believe our next
step should be?

Sandra Ahten
217-367-6345