[Bookstoprisoners] i wrote to Holloway House

Holley K hollymn1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 13:24:30 CST 2006

  Feb. 23,  2006

  Dear Mr.  Neal,

              I am a social worker and advocate for many inmates in mostly Illinois prisons.  I found that many men in the max prisons, and the Tamms Supermax in IL,  did not have access to books.  I have been trying to buy books at goodwill,  garage sales, and even buying them online at Amazon, to fill their requests for the last 3 years.  In the last year,  I have also worked with a group called Books to Prisoners Project in Urbana,  IL.  They have grown by leaps and bounds and are movers and shakers!

  This group has been getting a large number of book donations from their community.  They sell the ones least likely to appeal to the inmates,  and get money that way to pay for packaging,  postage, and special request books such as dictionaries. They have also set up  a jail library in the Champaign/Urbana jail and have staffed it!  The inmates both at this jail site and in the IL prisons beg for books by Iceberg Slim and Donald Goines over and over as well as other black authors.

  I am writing to ask if there are any books that you could donate to this Books to Prisoners group.  Perhaps you have books that got covers torn,  or were defective in some way?  Any books at all from Holloway House would be greatly appreciated.  They are a 5013c non profit and can give a tax receipt for the value you put on the books.  They can use soft cover or hard cover books.

  Their address is  Urbana/Champaign Books to Prisoners Project c/o spineless books
  PO Box 515
  Urbana, IL  61803

  Thank you for your time and consideration

  Holley Kramer