[Bookstoprisoners] Community Shares, Share-a-meal...March 14th

Lynsee Melchi lynseemelchi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:02:39 CST 2006

Hey everyone

I will be stepping in for Kiah as the new IMC Community Shares
representative.  I will be around UC until August and then we will
need a new rep.  Danny is also helping out w/the rep stuff right now
too.

In a nutshell, Community Shares (CS) is a collective of non-profit
groups that fundraises as a group...much like United Way (but not
corporate).  It operates primarily through workplace giving programs
such that you have a portion of your check taken out to be given to
the group (or a particular organization w/in the group).  For more
info: www.cs-il.org.  I will probably organize an info session for
IMCstas at a later date so folks can find out how we can help CS and
in turn raise funds for the IMC.  Basically we get a piece of the
general funds donated to CS by helping out w/activities like the event
listed below and other stuff (like publicity in the PublicI/RFU).

On March 14th there will be a fundraiser that affects all the groups
w/in CS.  It's called Share-a-meal and will take place at 3 local
restaurants: Silvercreek, Milo's, and Kennedy's.  The IMC will be
co-hosting the festivities at Milo's and a portion of the proceeds
raised from people's dinner tabs will go to us.  We get money by doing
stuff like publicity and hosting.  People are able to choose what
charity they want their dinner bill to go to no matter what restaurant
they eat at.

So...what we need are volunteers.  We need people to help publicize
the event and to help the night of.  The night of volunteers will help
run things at Milo's.  If you would like to volunteer please email me.
 I will have more details soon.

This is a super easy way for the IMC to raise money so I hope that you
all will take up the torch and help out w/ith this cool money-raising
event.

Lynsee