[Bookstoprisoners] Book donations

Sandncsells sandncsells at comcast.net
Mon Nov 2 14:24:32 CST 2009

Good afternoon all,

There has not been a filled "sale" box since the last book sale (actually before since they all moved right up the week before the sale) which means that there has been almost nothing to list on Amazon.  The recycle has been getting great business, which is good for many reasons.  But this lack of sellable books (Amazon or for our book sales) means the money coming in is  extremely low.  I have been reducing some prices down to almost nothing to try to stimulate sales, however, that is not working well either.

A book drive about now would be wonderful!  I was thinking that the open houses could also encourage people attending to bring a book or two with them, killing two birds with one stone.

Maybe Judith would like to take the lead on organizing one or more of our volunteer groups to do a pre Thanksgiving book drive on campus....in the dorms, frat houses, and sororities on a smaller scale than we do at end of semester time.  This drive would give us less textbooks and more current and popular titles I would think.  There may be some social events that could be promoted with "spread literacy and share a book" type of thing.

Our neighborhood book drive was very successful, but good weather is rather scarce this time of year.  Maybe Sam's would let us set up a table outside the exit (a covered area) to promote B2P, get financial donations, and book donations.  A great community outreach project that would work at several other businesses as well.

Another idea would be to contact radio and TV stations to see if they would do a one afternoon "green" project to get people to donate used books as a way to recycle.  Lots of publicity and our Hometown award should help us out here.  We need to be prepared to be inundated with books though, so this may not be the right time for a book drive this size.  Thoughts on this anyone?

I'm contacting WCIA to see if they will let us put bins in the stations for promotional books they receive.  I'll be picking up the books but this will only be temporary through the holidays.

One thing we need to keep in mind is that we should always be clear and have it printed on any signs or promotional materials what kind of books we need and DON'T need. Any other ideas?

Deb