[Bookstoprisoners] Prometheus is Hiring a Technical and Training Organizer!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu Nov 19 20:46:05 CST 2009

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
*
The Prometheus Radio Project is looking for a Technical and Training
Organizer to join our staff!*

The Prometheus Radio Project is an organization that builds participatory
radio as a tool for social justice organizing and a voice for community
expression. To that end, we demystify media policy and technology, advocate
for a more just media system, and help grassroots organizations build
communications infrastructure to strengthen their communities and movements.

We collaborate with community groups who want a locally accountable voice in
the media, including a civil rights organization in Louisiana, farmworker
activists in Oregon, and environmentalists on the Chesapeake Bay. Working in
Congress and the FCC, we advocate for policies that support
community-controlled radio. Meanwhile, we arm community groups with the
skills they need to build and control their own media and maintain thriving
participatory radio stations. This is the job of the Technical and Training
Organizer--putting radio technology in people’s hands!

For more information about our work, please visit our website at
prometheusradio.org

*Position Description*
The Technical and Training Organizer will work in conjunction with our
Station Support Coordinator and Community Radio Organizer to provide
engineering and station construction support to new and existing
participatory radio stations. Candidates must be self-motivated and capable
of working in collaborative settings with volunteers, interns and other
staff.

The demystification of radio technologies and FCC processes is central to
Prometheus’s work. Therefore, we are looking for a person who is a both a
skilled technician and an enthusiastic trainer. This organizer is expected
to create an environment where people who are new to radio can enjoy
learning through collaboration and skill-sharing. This is an exciting
position for someone who values sharing knowledge, thinking big, and
building stuff.

*Required skills*
> Minimum two years of experience in radio (public, college, community or
commercial).
> Commitment to media access and justice.
> Experience training and guiding non-technical people on technical
projects.
> Experience explaining complex or technical issues in clear ways through a
variety of formats – in-person presentations, phone, and email support.
> Experience with:
    * Audio engineering - studios, recording, acoustics, etc.
    * FCC rules and regulations, especially in regards to LPFM and NCE
stations
    * FM station applications - allocations engineering software experience
is a definite plus
    * RF engineering - transmitters, antennas, transmission line, etc.
    * Electronics work and soldering
    * Studio transmitter links
    * IP Audio
    * Internet audio streaming
    * Contracting and project management

Preferred Skills/Experience:
> Experience with community organizing or social justice work
> Management experience
> SBE or comparable certification
> Proficiency in Spanish

We are looking for the right person, not the perfect engineer. Please be
advised that we are in need of someone experienced in radio engineering,
with a history of involvement in social and economic justice work and a
desire to share their knowledge with others. An invitation to interview with
us will be extended primarily on this basis.

*Office Environment*
The Prometheus office is a collective working environment with a consensus
based decision-making structure. Candidates for this position should be
prepared to engage with and take on responsibilities related to collective
our processes, including shared day-to-day office maintenance tasks,
collaborative event facilitation and group organization-building activities.

*Salary, Location and Application Info*
This is a full-time, salaried staff position. All full-time staff at
Prometheus currently earn the same annual salary of $24,000 and receive
medical benefits. We are exploring a salary increase based on projected
income. Our office is located in West Philadelphia, in the community center
basement of the Calvary Methodist Church. Be ready to smell delicious
cooking, hear the shouts of children learning martial arts, people singing
gospel, or holding a self-help meeting. We are seeking someone willing to
work in Philadelphia and able to make a two-year commitment to the
organization; however we are open to alternative proposals. Since we are
expecting a future LPFM window, we expect this position will involve some
travel throughout the US helping to construct radio stations.

The Prometheus Radio Project respects and values people of all backgrounds
and considers applicants for positions without regard to race, color, sex,
religion, creed, gender identity and expression, national origin, age,
disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any legally
protected status. As we work in collaboration with many communities that
have been marginalized from media access, we also hope to employ members of
these communities at the Prometheus Radio Project.

To apply, please send a cover letter and resume, and up to three relevant
writing samples to jobs at prometheusradio.org. Applicants may also send
questions to this address. Please be sure to include "Technical and Training
Organizer" in the subject line. The application deadline is Sunday, January
3, 2009 at 11:59 PM EST. First round interviews will be scheduled for the
week of January 11-15. We will keep this call open until we feel we have
found the right person for the position.

prometheus radio project
po box 42158
philadelphia, pa 19101
p: 215-727-9620 xt. 502