[Bookstoprisoners] B2P interest in prison reform policies

Holley McCree hollymn1 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 21 23:00:41 CST 2010

I take it the Tamms Year Ten committee is trying to take on the issues of other prisons as well.

I have one story to tell about books in the Madison County Jail.  A woman I knew online said to me that her son had to stay in the jail for quite a long time while his case was being retried and that he was very frustrated to only have a pile of romance novels, and paperbacks to choose from.  She is "ielene" on illinoisprisontalk.com .   I decided to dig into this issue.  It's been two years I think so I won't remember all the details.  I found out that the IDOC does oversee the jails and that there is a policy about what should be consist of the library.  I found the policy.   There is a woman  from the IDOC who visits there once a year or more to make sure the standards were met.  Then I found out that a local board was involved in this.   I called the jail.  I was told that they did have a library. The sheriff in charge was obviously ticked off that I was questioning this.  I wrote every single member of this local board and the woman
 overseeing the jail and got no where.  From the sheriff's comments I could tell he really felt that paperbacks left from other prisoners was an adequate library. I got only one response, a curt letter from the sheriff.    I was really surprised about this whole episode. I never heard back from one board member.   It seemed obvious the sheriff shut down the whole inquiry.  I had to question how thoroughly the IDOC person looked into things and whether she just "rubber stamped"  things on her visit.
I definitely ruffled feathers but got no where!

Holley