[Cgfc] organic standards under attack

Hines, Jennifer hines at isgs.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 18 09:39:06 CST 2003

Hello Common Grounders,

I just came across this disturbing news item.  Please use the link below
to get the full story.  In a nutshell, a major poultry producer had his
representative get our own Dennis Hastert to add a last minute provision
that would allow an exemption to the organic feed requirement for
livestock if organic feed is not available for less than twice the cost
of regular feed. Those of us who care about maintaining credibility for
the organic foods movement should act quickly to register our outrage at
this back-door maneuver to undermine the standards.  We are asked to act
by Feb. 24 and sample emails, contact info, etc. can be found at the web
site.

Also, please send this to any other food co-op, environmental, or other
sympathetic list serve groups that you may know of.  Agribusiness has
tried and will continue to  try to undermine the organic standards.  We
the people must take a stand to defend them against the powerful special
interests.

Thank you for any action you take,
Jennifer Hines

http://www.wholefoods.com/issues/org_feed02-03.html