[cgfc] Come meet our Guatemalan Coffee Growers!

Molly Stentz molly at ucimc.org
Fri Sep 10 18:22:17 CDT 2004

Hi Co-op members,

We have a great opportunity for you to meet the growers of the Fair Trade
coffee that we sell at the Co-op. A week from Thursday we will have on
hand two members of the grower's co-op that provides us with our tasty
Guatemalan coffee. They have a slide show which they'll be presenting with
beautiful pictures of their land in the Quetzaltenango region
(southwestern) Guatemala.  They will be happy to answer questions you may
have about how coffee is grown, picked, shipped, roasted and delivered to
you, as well as how co-operatives and fair-trade have made an effect on
the economics of coffee production. We'll also be brewing up some of
their coffee for tasting. It should be a very interesting evening- how
often do you get the chance to meet where your food came from? Won't
you join us?

See below!
-Molly
Common Ground

Come Meet Guatemalan Co-op Coffee Growers
Thurs, Sept. 23 6pm
At Common Ground Food Co-op

    Rigoberto Augustin Ramirez and Roberto Ramirez Lainez, members of Santa
Anita la union in Colomba, Guatamala and the source of Common Ground Food
Co-op's Guatemalan coffee will be in Champaign on Thursday, Sept. 23rd.

   Santa Anita is a collective of 33 families growing coffee, bananas,
avocadoes and community on 100 beautiful acres in the pacific coastal
mountains of Guatemala.  They were able to acquire this land as a part of
the peace accords that ended the civil war there 6 years ago.  Previous to
becoming coffee growers, this group fought for indigenous rights and land
reform.

Come meet Mr. Ramirez, Mr. Lainez, and Just Coffee coffee roasters as they
share their experiences building alternatives to exploitative market
conditions facing Third World farmers. They'll talk to us about coffee
production, show us slides of their plantations, and answer questions you
may have about coffee. We will also be brewing up some delicious
fair-trade coffees for you to try!

Common Ground Food Co-op
610 E. Springfield Avenue * Corner of Wright & Springfield in Champaign
(217) 352-3347