[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #5

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:25:20 CDT 2005

GREETINGS!

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this
newsletter because you're a member of Common Ground who's also signed up to
be on the CGFC
mailing list. If you aren't interested in receiving these updates, please
email
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. A paper version is posted on the bulletin
board in the
store.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to
relevant news items/political actions, and other bits and pieces worthy of
mention. If you
have anything of a similar bent you think members should know about, please
email links to
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****Sorry it's late! With the new semester starting and schedules being a
little tricky, the
publication schedule of this little email nugget is being tweaked. Wednesday
seems like a
good bet, so look for the next version a week from today.

****The next worker orientation will be this Saturday, August 27, at 1 PM in
the store. If
you're a new member (or a non-working member!) who wants to start the
volunteer thing, this
is where it begins. Contact Jill at the store - 352-3347 - with any
questions.

****CGFC will be participating in the Volunteer Fair at the U of I on
Friday, September 9
from 10 AM - 2 PM. PLease contact Lisa at the email address above if you're
interested
in representing CGFC.

****Five More Urbana Farmers' Markets left for us! CGFC's scheduled to
appear 8/27 as well
as every Saturday in September. If you're interested in taking a shift at
our centrally-
located/often stopped-at booth, please email Lisa at the address above.
Thanks!

****New product onslaught continues!
Cascade Fresh Yogurt and Sour Cream are ON SALE this month!
Cascade Fresh is a family-owned company in the Pacific Northwest. Their milk
comes from
regional small dairies whose cows are raised on pasture. They don't use rBGH
or antibiotics
on their cows, and don't add any refined sugar or additives to their
products. Their yogurts
have 8 active cultures, including acidophilus and bifidus.

More info at www.cascadefresh.com <http://www.cascadefresh.com>

Also! Temptation Soy Dessert is on sale this month - $2.75/pint!
This soy ice cream comes from an up-and-coming Chicago company of two (Dan
Ziegler and Ryan
Howard). The emphasize local ingredients and use organic soybeans grown
right here in
Illinois! They got their start selling their homemade soymilk and soy ice
cream to Chicago
restaurants, including the renowned Chicago Diner vegetarian restaurant.
Their packaging is
recyclable and they support many animal and human rights groups. "Our
company is run
according to philosophy, not profits."

Check them out at www.welovesoy.com <http://www.welovesoy.com>

****Pine nuts remain on sale, though not for much longer. It's still pesto
season - and one
can freeze pesto in cubes for dead-of-winter defrosting, adding to
soups/stews, etc. Stuck
for a recipe? Here's one I use (and it can be made vegan by omitting the
cheese): 3 cups
packed basil leaves, 3 plump cloves garlic, 2/3 C good quality EVOO (extra
virgin olive
oil), 1/4 pine nuts, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 grated parmesan cheese. Put
everything in
food processor/blender and process until smooth; stir in cheese. Great over
pasta, on bread,
straight outta the bowl...

****In Case You Missed Molly's Missive #1: "The Co-op's delivery schedule is
changing with our primary
grocery supplier, United Natural Foods. We will be getting our deliveries
Monday
and Thursday mornings. None of our current workers who help unload the
trucks can make it at
those times and United is unwilling to give us a different delivery
schedule." Who out there
can step up for some early morning exercise AND worker hours? Let Molly know
- you can reach
her at the store by calling 352-3347

****In case you missed Molly's Missive #2: "I have a catalog for European
Imports, which is a speciality
cheese importer out of Chicago. They supply Art Mart and World Harvest. Take
a look at it and
flag anything you find interesting. They have a pretty high minimum order
($1500) so I'm
trying to determine if there's enough we could get from them. They also have
olives (yum!)
and lots of grocery stuff, too. Check it out and let me know what you
think."

So. Check it out and let her know what you think! You can leave a comment at
the CGFC Product Blog - go
to www.cgfcproducts.blogspot.com <http://www.cgfcproducts.blogspot.com> or
contact her at the store.

INFO OF INTEREST:

**** "A government-convened panel that was intended to discuss ways to limit
marketing junk
food to kids instead became an enormous PR opportunity for the junk food
industry." Read
more here:

http://alternet.org/story/23648/

**** Some food and farmer news from Food First:

LA Urban Farmers Dig Deep to Save their Land

"The South Central Farm, a 14-acre lot on 41st and Alameda Streets, has for
more than ten
years been an oasis of food security in a gritty Los Angeles industrial
zone. Now, the
pitched battle between its farmers and developer Ralph Horowitz, who wants
to build a
warehouse on the land, is coming to a head.

The land was dedicated for use as community gardens in 1992. September 2003
the farmers were
told they were going to have to leave the property, as the city had already
cut Horowitz a

sweet deal of $5.1 million in exchange for the land. By February 2004, when
the city
started demolishing the lots, the community was ready. By performing civil
disobedience,
they managed to temporarily stop the process and file a lawsuit against the
city, Ralph
Horowitz and the Los Angeles Food Bank. On June 30, 2005 the Court of Appeal
reversed the
injunction which had halted the development, again placing the land in
Horowitz's hands.

For South Central's farmers, digging deep doesn't mean spending money, since
they don't have
much of it; the 350 parcels are distributed to families according to the
USDA's poverty
guidelines. Where the coalition lacks money, however, they have shown
enormous
determination, over the last six weeks organizing protests and
demonstrations to save their
land.

As of August 9, Food First received notice that the South Central Coalition
was occupying
the farm. By the time of this publication we have not received word whether
or not the
occupation is still taking place. For more information about how to get
involved in this
ongoing struggle, please call (323) 232-8316."

Sources:

http://www.latinola.com/story.php?story=2741
http://www.coro.org/coro_centers/la/e-connections/july2005articles.htm
http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=1955&IssueNum=98
http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=1955&IssueNum=98
http://www.badpoetryinmotion.com/guerrillaunderground/9/

****"Responding to the recent United Farm Workers lobbying campaign
culminating 15 years of
debate, Governor Schwarzenegger passed long-overdue measures mandating water
and shade to
laborers suffering from heatstroke. Four farm workers have died while
toiling in this
summer's unusually high temperatures."

Source:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-farmworkers3aug03,1,7763578.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

****During the month of July, ActionAid Pakistan released four reports and
organized rallies
on the adverse impact of WTO policies on small farmers. They and the WTO
Watch Group are
also organizing a 'South Asian Parliamentarians Workshop on WTO' to take
place in Islamabad
on the 29 and 30th of August.

Source:
http://www.actionaid.org/pakistan/

****The Women in Sustainable Agriculture Conference is happening on October
21-23 in South
Burlington, VT! For more information on what looks to be a fascinating few
days, go here:

http://www.regonline.com/eventinfo.asp?eventid=24825

****Got a high-speed internet connection? Intersted in organic food and
permaculture/sustainable ag? You might find this place interesting:

http://www.beyondorganic.com/

**** The New York Times Sunday magazine had peak oil as its cover story this
past weekend; this issue is finally hitting the
mainstream press, and deservedly so. Writer Richard Heinberg presented a
paper at a conference in Ireland this past June. An excerpt:

'We will need to grow more food in and around cities. Currently, Oakland
California is debating a food policy initiative that would mandate by 2015
the growing within a fifty-mile radius of city center of 40 percent of the
vegetables consumed in the
city.11<http://www.museletter.com/archive/159.html#notes>If the
example of Cuba were followed, rooftop gardens would result, as well
as rooftop raising of food animals like chickens, rabbits and guinea pigs.

Localization of the food process means moving producers and consumers of
food closer together, but it also means relying on the local manufacture and
regeneration of all of the elements of the production process - from seeds
to tools and machinery. This would appear to rule out agricultural
bioengineering, which favors the centralized production of patented seed
varieties, and discourages the free saving of seeds from year to year by
farmers.

Clearly, we must minimize chemical inputs to agriculture (direct and
indirect - such as those introduced in packaging and processing).'

Much more at http://www.museletter.com/archive/159.html

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such knowledge.

Thanks and look for #6 same time (more or less) next week!

::compiled by Outreach Co-coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly::