[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #19

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:06:06 CST 2005

 Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also
signed up to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in
receiving these updates, please email lisabk at gmail.com.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other bits
and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar bent you
think members should know about, please email links to lisabk at gmail.com.
Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****BYTES 2005 FINALE!
Next week's Bytes will be the last until the first week of 2006. It will
also begin appearing in your inboxes on Thursday afternoons in order to keep
you updated regarding new products (we get deliveries all the time, but the
big ones arrive on Monday/Thursday mornings).

Thanks for all the positive feedback. In the new year I hope to bring you an
even-cooler email newsletter and an interactive, totally awesome website!

****GOT NOG?
Seasonal items are now in stock at the co-op!

Silk Nog and Organic Valley's Egg Nog are both in stock, and we should have
healthy quantities of both through the holiday season. Also, check out Equal
Exchange's Hot Cocoa Mix - fair trade and on sale!

Satsuma mandarin oranges are in. We'll only have them for a 3-4 week period,
so come in and grab some before the time gets away from you... because you
know it will!

Organic chestnuts are now available for roasting on open fires!

****NEW PRODUCT INFORMATION:
New foods of note:

- 2 new kinds of bulk heirloom beans - Black Beluga Lentils and Cranberry
Beans - find them in the bagged bulk beans section
- organic whole wheat phyllo dough by Fillo Factory - no hydrogenated oils
and vegan - in the freezer
- sprouted burger buns by Alvarado Street Bakery - also in the freezer! Yay!
- organic fruit nectars by Bionaturae! These things are awesome, friends.
I'm partial to the cherry, but the plum, pear, and wild berry all look
pretty awesome
- shallots are in stock!

****GIFT IDEAS:
- CGFC member Beth Rockenbach's Res Natura line of bodycare products - in
store just in time for the holidays.
- large canvas shopping bags made by Frontier Natural Products Cooperative.
- Seed Savers' 2006 calendar, loaded with excellent photos of beautiful
heirloom produce and recipes donated by Seed Savers folks
- Slingshot calendars/planners, in large and small sizes
- Burt's Bees products -  full-size versions of some of the baby items
(diaper ointment and dusting powder), a couple of new facial scrubs, and a
few other items
-  Pre de Provence fancy soap gift packs now in stock!

****CARE TO COMMENT?
comments on the DRAFT VERSION OF THE strategic vision plan, copies of which
are available in the store near the cash register, are due by December 31,
2005. You can email comments to the Board at cgfc-bod at lists.groogroo.com.

****ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITY
Interested in advertising your business or service in the CGFC quarterly
newsletter "From the Ground Up"?  Please contact Ingrid Melief at
imelief at yahoo.com or at 384-7664.

BOOKMARK FODDER:

****WHOLE MILK = JUNK FOOD
"Cartons of whole milk would be considered junk food, but baked Cheetos
would not, under new rules proposed Friday by Illinois education officials."

More here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_he_me/brf_schools_junk_food

I plan on addressing this issue more in the next issue of the newsletter.

****STICKY SITUATION
"DuPont Co. has agreed to pay $10.25 million in fines and $6.25 million for
environmental projects to settle allegations by the Environmental Protection
Agency that the company hid information about a toxic chemical used to make
the nonstick coating Teflon."

More here:

http://articles.news.aol.com/business/article.adp?id=20051214114309990002&_ccc=3&cid=403

That's all for now, folks. Have an excellent holiday!

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such knowledge.
Thanks and look for #20 same time (more or less) in early 2006!

: compiled by Outreach Coordinator Lisa B-K :