[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #15

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:50:35 CST 2005

 Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also
signed up to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in
receiving these updates, please email lisabk at gmail.com.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other bits
and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar bent you
think members should know about, please email links to lisabk at gmail.com.
Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING ALERT!
The next GMM will be happening Sunday, November 20 in Wisegarver Lounge in
the IDF building. Potluck begins at 5:30 and the meeting commences at 6 PM.
Agenda is available in the store; items include staffing changes, discussion
of the Strategic Vision Planning report (see below), and discussion
regarding membership and the new point-of-sale system in the store. Bring
something delish to eat and meet us in Wisegarver!

****STRATEGIC VISION PLANNING FINAL REPORT
The final report combining information from the committees regarding CGFC's
strategic planning process, which we went through this summer, is now
available! You can pick up a copy in the store or download it:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/plan.doc

****NEW PRODUCT ERRATA:
Last week I wrote that the co-op was "excited to be carrying local, organic
goat cheese from Prairie Fruits Farm in Urbana, IL". While we're definitely
excited, and the cheese is indeed local, it is NOT certified organic. PFF is
dedicated to using sustainable farming methods, but are definitely
transitioning to organic, something that will likely take place in full over
the next few years. Apologies for the error.

****CGFC IS NOW HIRING!
The Co-op is now hiring for several positions in grocery, produce, and
management . Please go to this page on the website to download a flyer and
application if you (or someone you know) might be interested:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/hiring.html

****MANY THANKS!
Thanks, everyone, for filling out the member data cards at the register for
the past few weeks. We've begun giving members their numbers and the
transition is moving along smoothly. If you haven't been in for awhile,
we'll still ask you to fill out a card so we can make sure your contact
information and member status are up-to-date. Thanks for putting up with us!

****FALL ISSUE OF FROM THE GROUND UP IS NOW OUT!
Just a reminder - the Co-op's printed newsletter is out in its analog form.
Come by the store and pick one up! If you want the digital copy instead,
download a PDF copy on our website:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/NewsFall05.pdf

BOOKMARK FODDER:

****SPOILED MILK:

"CORNUCOPIA, WI: The Cornucopia Institute has filed a formal legal complaint
with the USDA requesting a full investigation into allegations of multiple
violations of federal organic regulations at the nation's largest organic
dairy. The Aurora Organic Dairy, located in Colorado and with a herd
approaching 6000 cows, appears to have violated numerous organic regulations
governing the rearing of milk cows entering its vast factory farm operation.

Prior to filing the legal complaint, staff from the Institute visited a
nearby ranch raising – on a contract basis – thousands of replacement cows
for the Aurora Dairy. After an extensive investigation, review of records
and discussions with the ranch owner, it was discovered that the ranch *was
never certified* as an organic livestock facility."

For more details, go here:

http://www.cornucopia.org/

****STRETCHED TOO THIN:

Interesting family budget calculator here:

http://www.secondharvest.org/budget_calculator.asp?s=41

****WHY?

The World Hunger Year website has lots of information regarding food
security, hunger, and poverty:

http://www.worldhungeryear.org/fslc/

****ACTION ALERT: KIDS AND PESTICIDES
"Public comments are now being accepted by the Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) on its newly proposed federal regulation regarding the testing
of chemicals and pesticides on human subjects. On August 2, 2005, Congress
had mandated the EPA create a rule that permanently bans chemical testing on
pregnant women and children. But the EPA's newly proposed
rule<http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-GENERAL/2005/September/Day-12/g18010.htm>,
misleadingly titled "Protections for Subjects in Human Research," puts
industry profits ahead of children's welfare."

More information and links to places to write letters here:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa6.cfm

****HIDDEN KITCHENS:

I've really enjoyed this feature on NPR, which is now a book:

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/hiddenkitchens/

The two authors of the book were interviewed on our local NPR affiliate this
week:

http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/aftmag/thisweek.htm (scroll to Tuesday)

Very cool stuff.

****PRAIRIE OUTPOST?

"One of the most productive things you can for your community is start an
new outpost (or join your existing group with Post Carbon Institute and the
Relocalization Network). An Outpost is a local community group focused on
raising the awareness of and preparing their community for life without
non-renewable hydrocarbons and chemical feedstocks. Each Outpost is an
autonomously-operated initiative of the Post Carbon Institute."

Interested in learning more?

http://www.postcarbon.org/relocalize/start

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such knowledge.
Thanks and look for #16 same time (more or less) next week!

::compiled by Outreach Co-coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly::