[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #11

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 15:06:38 CDT 2005

GREETINGS!

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also
signed up to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in
receiving these updates, please email commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other bits
and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar bent you
think members should know about, please email links to
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

Cool stuff is afoot in the Co-op these days, which at least partially
accounts for the lateness of this update!.

****CHECK OUT THE CHECK-OUT!
This week, we installed a new check-out counter, which was designed for us
by Co-op member Eric Menzel and custom-built by Spencer Ely of Ely
Furniture. We are loving it!

We also installed our new computer (called a Point of Sale system.... or POS
for those that love acronyms.) It allows us to better track what the heck we
are selling so that we know what you want us to buy and how much of it! It
will also generate some snazzy financial reports so that we can create much
more meaningful budgets. Additionally, it also comes with an integrated
member database so that we can better organize our membership records and
keep track of your equity investments in the store.

****MEMBER NUMBERS COMING SOON
You never thought you'd see the day when the Co-op treats you as a number..
oh no!
But don't fret!

Our new computer system has assigned a number to all of us who have bought a
membership in the store. Starting in November, we'll ask you for your member
number (or just your name) when you shop at the Co-op. This will allow us to
do many things:

For workers, you can log your worker status in the computer so that it will
automatically apply your discount when you check out. The computer can also
remember your other discounts for you - such as the senior discount or Link
card discount.

For members, you can log your equity payments so that you can ask about the
status of your membership at any time. (Am I still a member even though I
haven't been here in ages? When the heck did I join anyway? How much equity
do I owe? Do I need to make a payment? Can I change my membership type?) We
hear these questions over and over again and now we'll have an easy way to
answer them.

We are in the process of updating our membership database right now so that
we know we've got it right. Help us out by asking about your membership
record when you check out. We can pull up your record and give you your
member number and we can also update your address or phone number. If you're
not yet in the database, we can add you!

We have tried it out ourselves and think it's pretty handy. Heck, maybe
we'll even get scannable member cards some day like the libraries have!

****CGFC IS NOW HIRING!
The Co-op is now hiring for two positions - a part-time grocery manager and
a part-time daily manager. Please go to this page on the website to download
a flyer and application if you (or someone you know) are interested:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/hiring.html

****FALL ISSUE of FROM THE GROUND UP OUT SOON!
The Co-op's printed newsletter has been sent to press and will hit the store
within the week! If you want the sneak preview, download a PDF copy on our
website:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/NewsFall05.pdf

There are some real, important changes being proposed to our national
organic standards right now. They affect all of us who care about organics
and we need to keep up with what's happening. Read up on it in this issue.

****NEW SMELLS
We just got a shipment in from Pre de Provence with a variety of new soaps.
You may be tempted to eat the mango soap due to the smell alone, but we
don't recommend it.

INTERESTING LINKS:

***Fantastic essay about "disaster fatigue"....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2005/10/14/notes101405.DTL

***The Organic Consumers Association has a new wesbite up for their consumer
activism wing called Breaking the Chains:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/btc.htm

Sorry so short (and so late!), but we've got data entry to do! More next
week...

::compiled by Lisa B-K, Outreach C-Coordinator::