[cgfc] CGFC Weekly Bytes, Vol. 2, #5

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:26:52 CST 2006

 Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly e-newsletter! You're getting
this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also signed up
to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in receiving these
updates, please email lisa at commonground.coop <lisabk at gmail.com>

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other bits
and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar bent you
think members should know about, please email links to
lisa at commonground.coop <lisabk at gmail.com> . Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****COMMON GROUND NEEDS A NEW LOGO... AND YOUR HELP

Common Ground needs a new logo to reflect the fresh and vibrant nature
of the store and its community today. We want to open up the
opportunity to design a new logo to all of you very talented and
creative members, so read on if you're interested in submitting a
design:

DETAILS:
- logo must be scalable - it has to look good enlarged (on a banner,
for example) or reduced (on a business card, leterhead, advertisement,
etc).
- logo needs to look good in print and on the web, and needs to look
good in both black & white AND in color
- logo should include the words "Common Ground Food Co-op" or some other
 recognizable version of the store's name
- themes to consider: natural foods, community, cooking, agriculture,
farms, getting food to the people, etc.

All submissions must be in .jpg or .gif format and must be received by
the Co-op no later than Friday, February 24, 2006. Artist must be cool
with his or her artwork being displayed on the internet, in print, and
on any CGFC swag. The new logo will be selected by Common Ground staff
in early March.

Show us what you've got! Send your submissions via email to
lisa at commonground.coop and  molly at commonground.coop, or drop a disc
off at the co-op to Lisa or  Molly's attention with your design and a
note with your contact information.

Questions? Email lisa at commonground.coop .

****FULL BELLY FORUM: LOCAL FARMERS & THE NATIONAL ANIMAL IDENTIFICATION
SYSTEM
Common Ground Food Co-op is proud to announce the second of this year's Full
Belly Forums - monthly roundtable discussions about food issues that matter.
February's food issue that matters? How the proposed National Animal
Identification System (NAIS) will affect local famers and their customers.

Jim and Diann Moore supply the co-op with eggs raised on their farm in
Watseka, IL; they also have a growing grassfed meat and poultry business,
supply families with produce each year via their CSA, and supply hundreds of
people with fresh vegetables at farmers' markets across central Illinois
during the growing season. Come hear the Moores talk about their family farm
and why they feel legislation like NAIS will hurt small, independent farmers
like them - and everyone who buys food from them, either directly or from a
store.

The event takes place Monday, February, 2006 at 7 PM in the Wisegarver
Lounge in the Illinois Disciples Foundation building at 610 West Springfield
Avenue in Champaign, and is open to the public. Refreshments will be
provided. For more information, please call 352-3347 or email
lisa at commonground.coop .

****WINTER 2006 NEWSLETTER AVAILABLE ON THE WEB
The brand-spankin'-new issue of CGFC's quarterly newsletter is available for
download as a .pdf file (you'll need Adobe Acrobat to read it) - you can
find it at www.commonground.coop/docs/nl-winter-06.pdf . The paper version
of the newsletter should be in the store within days.

****NEW WORKER ORIENTATION:
If you're interested in becoming a CGFC working member, the next worker
orientation has been scheduled for Saturday, February 4 at the store at 1
PM. Please call the store at 352-3347 if you have any questions.

 ****SEEDS!!
Our seed order and fancy new spinner rack HAVE ARRIVED. We've got twice the
variety and number of seeds - beans, melons, squash, herbs, flowers, you
name it. Packets are going for $1.99 each and are ON SALE NOW. Spring is
coming - the groundhog said so.

****STUFF ON SALE!
Katie, our intrepid grocery buyer, has a million (well, it seemed that way
when we were unloading the truck) new and on-sale-for-February items for you
to check out. Look for a list in the store soon - or you can just come in
and browse the offerings. We'll have a list in next week's Bytes, too.

BOOKMARK FODDER:

****NAIS-RELEVANT PODCAST:
Check out this series of downloadable radio shows:

http://www.metrofarm.com/mf_Food_Chain_Radio.html

The two-parter about the NAIS legislation (referred to above in the bit
about CGFC's Full Belly Forum this month) features some heavy hitters on
both sides. I highly recommend it. You can get a podcast or listen right on
your computer. It's a good site even without the radio offerings...

*****BE MY FAIR TRADE VALENTINE:
Co-op member Jennifer brought this link to my attention - lots of great
ideas there, as usual:

www.organicconsumers.org/valentines/

 <http://iconocla.st/dr.bronner/>

****WHATEVER HAPPENED TO NUTRIENT DENSITY?
"Most cheeses showed a fall in magnesium and calcium levels. According to
the analysis, cheddar provides 9% less calcium today, 38% less magnesium and
47% less iron, while parmesan shows the steepest drop in nutrients, with
magnesium levels down by 70% and iron all gone compared with its content in
the years up to 1940."

Interesting analysis here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1700222,00.html

****REALLY EATS LOCAL
Here's a guy who gave the Eat Local Challenge a try (warning: meat-heavy):

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20051205/ai_n15902823

****HOW MANY MILES?
Excellent article about food miles - the distance food travels from its
source to your supplier - and how the organic industry may or may not be
respecting them (article talks about the EU but is applicable to the US as
well):

http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp?n=65273-organic-artificial-supermarkets

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such knowledge. Thanks, and look for issue 2.6 same time (more or less)
next week!

:: compiled by Outreach/Member Services Coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly ::