[cgfc] CGFC Weekly Bytes v 2.6

Lisa lisa at commonground.coop
Thu Feb 9 18:38:29 CST 2006

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly e-newsletter! You're
getting this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also
signed up to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in
receiving these updates, please email lisa at commonground.coop
<mailto:lisabk at gmail.com>

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other
bits and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar
bent you think members should know about, please email links to
lisa at commonground.coop <mailto:lisabk at gmail.com> . Thanks!

*STORE/LOCAL NEWS:*

*****COMMON GROUND NEEDS A NEW LOGO... AND YOUR HELP*
Common Ground needs a new logo to reflect the fresh and vibrant nature
of the store and its community today. We want to open up the opportunity
to design a new logo to all of you very talented and creative members,
so read on if you're interested in submitting a design:

*_DETAILS_*:

- logo must be scalable - it has to look good enlarged (on a banner, for
example) or reduced (on a business card, leterhead, advertisement, etc).

- logo needs to look good in print and on the web, and needs to look
good in both black & white AND in color

- logo should include the words "Common Ground Food Co-op" or some other

 recognizable version of the store's name

- themes to consider: natural foods, community, cooking, agriculture,
farms, getting food to the people, etc.

All submissions must be in .jpg or .gif format and must be received by
the Co-op no later than *Friday, February 24, 2006.* Artist must be cool
with his or her artwork being displayed on the internet, in print, and
on any CGFC swag. The new logo will be selected by Common Ground staff
in early March.

Show us what you've got! Send your submissions via email to
lisa at commonground.coop <mailto:lisa at commonground.coop> /and/
molly at commonground.coop <mailto:molly at commonground.coop>, or drop a disc
off at the co-op to Lisa or  Molly's attention with your design and a
note with your contact information.

Questions? Email lisa at commonground.coop <mailto:lisa at commonground.coop> .

 *****FULL BELLY FORUM: LOCAL FARMERS & THE NATIONAL ANIMAL
IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM*
Common Ground Food Co-op is proud to announce the second of this year's
Full Belly Forums - monthly roundtable discussions about food issues
that matter. February's food issue that matters? How the proposed
National Animal Identification System (NAIS) will affect local famers
and their customers.

Jim and Diann Moore supply the co-op with eggs raised on their farm in
Watseka, IL; they also have a growing grassfed meat and poultry
business, supply families with produce each year via their CSA, and
supply hundreds of people with fresh vegetables at farmers' markets
across central Illinois during the growing season. Come hear the Moores
talk about their family farm and why they feel legislation like NAIS
will hurt small, independent farmers like them - and everyone who buys
food from them, either directly or from a store.

The event takes place *Monday, February 13, 2006* at 7 PM in the
Wisegarver Lounge in the Illinois Disciples Foundation building at 610
West Springfield Avenue in Champaign, and is *open to the public*.
Refreshments will be provided. For more information, please call
352-3347 or email lisa at commonground.coop <mailto:lisa at commonground.coop>
. You can download a copy of the flyer at
http://www.commonground.coop/docs/060213forum.pdf .

*****WINTER 2006 NEWSLETTER AVAILABLE ON THE WEB*
The brand-spankin'-new issue of CGFC's quarterly newsletter is available
for download as a .pdf file (you'll need Adobe Acrobat to read it) - you
can find it at www.commonground.coop/docs/nl-winter-06.pdf
<http://www.commonground.coop/docs/nl-winter-06.pdf> . The paper version
of the newsletter is *now available* in the store and around town.
*
***** COREWORKER JOB AVAILABLE*
HABA (Non-food) Buyer

Do you have an interest in natural health and body care products? Are
environmentally sound and sensitive cleaning products important to you?
Do you like trying and testing out new stuff?

We may have a job for you! Common Ground has an opening for a buyer of
non-food products for the store.

This position is a 3-hour/week coreworker position. It involves placing
a weekly order with our main distributor, stocking and pricing products
in the HABA corner, sourcing new and interesting products,  and
generally keeping that section of the store neat and looking good.

Talk to Molly or Jill at the store if you are interested or to learn more.

*****NEW WORKER ORIENTATION:*
If you're interested in becoming a CGFC working member, the next worker
orientation has been scheduled for Saturday, March 4 at the store at 1
PM. Please call the store at 352-3347 if you have any questions.

*****SEEDS*!!
Our seed order and fancy new spinner rack HAVE ARRIVED. We've got twice
the variety and number of seeds over last season - beans, melons,
squash, herbs, flowers, you name it. Packets are going for $1.99 each
and are ON SALE NOW. Spring's headed our way...

*****STUFF ON SALE*!
Katie, our intrepid grocery buyer, has a million (well, it seemed that
way when we were unloading the truck) new and on-sale-for-February items
for you to check out. The list is hanging up on the bulletin board in
the store. Here's a smattering of the grocery items for sale this month:

*Blues Busters* Full Spectrum Light Bulbs             $5.19

*Eden** Pastas:*

Spelt Buckwheat Gemelli                                   $2.89
Flax Rice Spirals                                                $2.85

*Ener-G* Egg Replacer                                              $4.39

*Ezekiel* Sprouted Grain Penne                                 $3.65

*Hodgson Mills* Buckwheat Pancake Mix                    $2.29

*Imagine Soups:*

Butternut Squash, Creamy Tomato, Portabello Mushroom            $3.09
*Journey* Vanilla Bean Soda    $1.06 each/$4.24 a 4 pack

*Kagome* Autumn Reds            $2.99

*Kettle Chips *Potato Chips

Cheddar Beer, Roasted Red Pepper Goat Cheese, Salt and Vinegar, Yogurt
and Green Onion                      $1.99

******U OF I ORGANIC FARM COMING SOON?*
Maybe you've heard.... There's a movement afoot to start a student-run
organic farm at the University of Illinois. U of I Student Rebecca
Russell is heading up the effort (called Just Food):

"Just. Food. is a cooperative between the Department of Natural
Resources and Environmental Sciences (NRES) in the College of ACES and a
registered student organization (RSO) that works to address the issues
of community sustainability.  NRES will supply a one-acre plot on the
Old South Farm for the development of a small produce farm under the
condition it works towards USDA organic certification.  The purpose of
the farm cooperative is to get as many people involved in local food
production as possible.  As more university and community members become
involved, Just. Food. will use the opportunity to educate them about the
sustainable benefits of local food production.

We usually meet *Thursday, at 5:30 in Turner Hall* (just east of the
ACES library) in the room *N527. Please email uiucorganicfarm at yahoo.com
<mailto:uiucorganicfarm at yahoo.com> for more information."*

*BOOKMARK FODDER:*

*****NAIS-RELEVANT PODCAST*:
Check out this series of downloadable radio shows:

http://www.metrofarm.com/mf_Food_Chain_Radio.html

The two-parter about the NAIS legislation (referred to above in the bit
about CGFC's Full Belly Forum this month) features some heavy hitters on
both sides. I highly recommend it. You can get a podcast or listen right
on your computer. It's a good site even without the radio offerings...

******BE MY FAIR TRADE VALENTINE*:
Co-op member Jennifer brought this link to my attention - lots of great
ideas there, as usual:

www.organicconsumers.org/valentines/
<http://www.organicconsumers.org/valentines/>

*****US WINS WTO BACKING IN WAR WITH EUROPE OVER GM FOOD*

The World Trade Organisation last night ruled that Europe had broken international trade rules by blocking the import of genetically modified food, in a decision US trade officials hailed as a victory.

The WTO found that Europe had imposed a de facto ban on GM food imports for six years from 1998 which violated trade agreements, and that Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Italy and Luxembourg also had no legal grounds to impose their own unilateral import bans.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1705027,00.html

*****NO MORE OIL FOR SWEDEN*
My fave Scandinavian country has pledged to be oil free by 2020:

"Sweden is to take the biggest energy step of any advanced western
economy by trying to wean itself off oil completely within 15 years -
without building a new generation of nuclear power stations."

More here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1704955,00.html

*****KNOW YOUR FATS*
"The findings of a major long-term study of the effects of low fat diets
on the health of middle-aged to elderly women are sweeping the major
newspapers of the world today, mostly because the results go against
conventional nutritional wisdom: switching to a diet low in fat does no
good in protecting agasint cancer or heart disease."

More here:

http://www.wellfed.net/paperpalate/index.php/paperpalate.php/2006/02/08/health_news_low_fat_diet_does_not_protec

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might
benefit from such knowledge. Thanks, and look for issue 2.7 same time
(more or less) next week!

:: compiled by Outreach/Member Services Coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly ::

--

Lisa Bralts-Kelly
Outreach/Member Services

Common Ground Food Cooperative