[Chynoweth-campaign] The facts about library expansion

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Tue Feb 20 15:00:42 CST 2001

Dear friends,

Thanks for all your help on my campaign so far.  We only have one more
week to go!

We will need every volunteer to help out this weekend.  If you are at all
available, please contact Peter at peterm at shout.net.

LIBRARY EXPANSION CLARIFICATION:
In the meantime, I want to clarify the issue of library expansion.  Rumor
has it that volunteers from my campaign are saying that Carolyn supported
the merger between the Champaign and Urbana libraries.  I don't think my
volunteers are saying that, but just in case: IT IS NOT TRUE.

What IS true is that the mayor forced the library board and city council
to accept an inadequate compromise on funding for the expansion project.

The plan approved last May, based on the mayor's financial projection
for FY 01 which was close to $1 million LESS revenue that we actually have
for the current fiscal year, was for a $6.1 million library renovation and
expansion ($2 million for renovation alone).  The $6.1 would be the total
of $1.5 million from the foundation, $300,000 of state grants, and the
balance of $4.3 million coming from the city.   Then, if the foundation
raises an extra $500,000, the city would contribute an extra $250,000.
If not, the project falls short by $750,000.

In the mean time, we have over $900,000 of unanticipated revenue for this
year which the mayor wants to use to lower the property tax rate (a
whopping $27 savings for the owner of a $150,000 home) and for road
projects.  The city council needs to direct that money first to the
library, then to tax relief and road projects.

The key library issue is:  will we have a city council majority to direct
needed funds to the library expansion project over the mayor's objection
when the budget is approved in May?

If you speak about library expansion, please focus on this key issue.

thanks,
danielle