[Commotion-admin] [commotion-quick-start] Mesh password (#27)

dismantl notifications at github.com
Tue Aug 20 20:29:53 UTC 2013

I don't think we should have the mesh password field on the quick start. Andrew mentioned that it would encourage weak passwords, since the password would have to be shared and manually entered into every mesh node that is set up, and I would agree with that reasoning.

I think a better approach would be, instead of having the user change default values on the quickstart, there should be another notification for the admin *after* quickstart that the node is using default values and should change them. These values should be changed manually on one node, then shared with the others strictly through exported profile files. The profile file would include, among other settings, the mesh password and the serval keyring used for olsrd-mdp. We could even have the node randomly generate a strong mesh password (though the PRNG on the routers is of dubioius entropy).

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-quick-start/issues/27