[Commotion-admin] [commotion-router] Firewall rule preventing routing between ethernet mesh and wifi mesh (#128)

Dan Staples notifications at github.com
Sat Jun 21 10:43:49 EDT 2014

At the AMC MagicNet, we have nodes meshing both over ethernet and wirelessly. Node A at the "end" of the network is meshed to node B over wifi, and B is then meshed to the rest of the network over ethernet. From further inside the network, as a client on an access point, I am not able to route traffic to/from node A. I was able to fix this by changing the following firewall rules in `/etc/config/firewall` on node B:

    config zone
            option name 'mesh'
            option input 'ACCEPT'
            option output 'ACCEPT'
            option forward 'DROP'
            list network 'commotionwireless_46net'
            list network 'mesh'

    config zone
            option name 'wan'
            option input 'DROP'
            option output 'ACCEPT'
            option forward 'DROP'
            option masq '1'
            list network 'wired'

to:

    config zone
            option name 'mesh'
            option input 'ACCEPT'
            option output 'ACCEPT'
            option forward 'ACCEPT'
            list network 'commotionwireless_46net'
            list network 'mesh'

    config zone
            option name 'wan'
            option input 'DROP'
            option output 'ACCEPT'
            option forward 'ACCEPT'
            option masq '1'
            list network 'wired'

Perhaps, once we add an option to the basic config to mesh over ethernet, turning that on should change the firewall rules of the node accordingly.

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-router/issues/128