[Commotion-admin] [commotion-router] Nodes are crashing, out of memory (#40)

Ben West notifications at github.com
Thu Mar 6 18:37:16 UTC 2014

To follow-up here, I've seen the hostapd and/or wpa_supplicant processes on my Wasabi Nanostation M2 nodes occasionally crash under heavy load, and it does look to be well coupled with memory exhaustion from some misbehaving process.  This is happening even with 3MB of zram swap, and furthermore even with vm.swappiness=0 specified in /etc/sysctl.conf.  Although, noticeably fewer crashes with swappiness turned all the way down.

When the hostapd or wpa_supplicant processes crash, you will see whichever wireless wireless VIF that process manages (e.g. the mesh adhoc VIF, the private AP) become unresponsive, even though the SSID remains visible.  Note the process names "hostapd" and "wpa_supplicant" appear in the process table, regardless of if you're using the wpad or wpad-mini packages.

You can verify such crashes with the presence of files like these in /tmp:
/tmp/wpa_supplicant.1497.11.1393700006.core
/tmp/hostapd.1336.11.1384486446.core

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-router/issues/40#issuecomment-36920675