[Commotion-admin] [mlab-browser-ext] UI/UX Mockups and General Notes (#24)

critzo notifications at github.com
Sun Oct 5 08:07:46 EDT 2014

Comments summary from our email thread is below, with reference to individual issues where appropriate:

@cda :
* How would the user interact with the test scheduling in the interface -- whether it is opt-in or opt-out, we should probably have some interaction with the user, and text explaining why they should allow us to collect data frequently.
* How were we imagining the test result sharing would look like?

@mtlynch :

*Questions:*
* What do the share buttons on the upper right do? Do they lead to new UI pages? (basically a +1 to @cda 's question) --- See Issue #25
* What tests do we plan to offer aside from NDT?
* How does the user switch between the big charts view, the multi-charts view, and the "results feed" view?
* Can a user choose invalid settings and, if so, how do we tell them what was invalid?
* Is that little star/gear thing next to the M-Lab logo a settings button or is it just decoration?
* In the chart with results table, what goes in the results table?

*Suggestions:*
* The "Previous Results" button is currently in a place where I would expect a "Reset" button to go (though I could easily live without a reset button here). I suggest moving it to some other place that makes it clear that it's a view change and not an action because making it a button and putting it next to another button that causes an action suggests that pushing the button will cause an action. (related to my previous whining about the NDT flash client - https://code.google.com/p/ndt/issues/detail?id=159)

*Feature requests:*
* Offer different graph types (aggregated by day of month, by day of week, by hour of day)
* Offer a detailed view of previous test runs (including the full output of NDT). Stretch goal: Give explanations of how to interpret the less obvious parts of the output.
* Run on a schedule (maybe for v2) - It'd be really nice to say "run [x] times per [day/week/month] at [explicit time / random time]" so the user gets more dense results and so do we.

*Other observations:*
* I like the recent test feed. I'm assuming it would be short text / small graphical representations of the test results? Like "NDT: 15 Mbps download / 1.2 Mbps upload / 25 ms RTT."? I'd like to see this fleshed out a bit more so we're in agreement on what we'd show here.
* I love the sharing feature. Ookla makes it really easy for users to share their bandwidth results on social media and it reinforces their position as the default place to do bandwidth tests. It would be really great if we could compete with them in this arena.

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/mlab-browser-ext/issues/24#issuecomment-57934070