[Commotion-dev] Draft Roadmap

Outback Dingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:52:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Charles N Wyble
<charles at knownelement.com>wrote:

> On 07/27/2011 08:07 AM, Josh King wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I have published a draft roadmap for the project at:
> >
> > http://tech.chambana.net/projects/commotion/wiki/roadmap
> >

> > * The roadmap is structured into a number of 'releases.' The first one
> > is a pre-release at the end of October, which will serve simply to pull
> > together all of the disparate software elements in their current form,
> > as well as give me some time to work on some features for the
> > Commotion-OpenWRT firmware to bring it up to feature parity with some
> > other firmwares out there in order to make it more useful to the
> > community networks we're working with to deploy and test it. Past that,
> > there are 4 "Developer Releases" which are split up in roughly 2-month
> > increments through the year, with a "Finished Release" next summer. I
> > structure it in this way to recognize that we need some general
> > milestones to hit, but that each piece of component software has its own
> > versioning and there's no need to try and change that, and the DR1-4
> > naming scheme is not likely to strongly conflict with any other
> > versioning scheme in use. Feedback around this is welcome, and the
> > timeline is likely to change slightly as the release date as required by
> > OTI's Internet Freedom grant award is predicated on when we actually get
> > the check from the US State Department, which is not yet.
>

> Why don't you guys just work with the villagetelco project? The SCEN
> firmware. They are light years
> ahead of everyone else in mesh. They have numerous production
> deployments. I think it's better to
> utilize the VT SCEN firmware and modify to suit, as opposed to starting
> from scratch.

This is by no means a true statement, SECN firmware if light years behind
others, There are many flavors
or mesh projects... The short list is ROBIN, NightWing, Ninux, Freifunk,
FabFi, ORION, and others. Some of which have been
deployed for years, and run on multiple hardware platforms already

> This is the approach being taken by the Free Network Foundation (of
> which I'm a founder). We are moving
> very close to shipping FreedomNode, which is a combination of the ideals
> of FreedomBox/Byzantium/Commotion.

All probably have different design goals trying to meet one essential
product type. I will
admit there seems to be alot of fracture in this area. There is no central
authority on how
to achieve something with so many ideas floating around, and doesnt appear
to be much
collaboration though alot are based on different design goals, mostly they
all do the same
things in a different manner.

We are hoping to have our full reference implementation completed this
> weekend and shipping a completed package
> by end of August.
>
> Everyone else seems light years away from shipping. *shrugs* We will all
> see who delivers first I guess. :)

I would think this is also completely mis-stated.... ORION has been deployed
for 3+ years, as well as ROBIN, and others.....
different markets, different goals........ same concepts......